Backup is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand backup (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use backup in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of backup, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of backup, followed by 41 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - a musical part (vocal or instrumental) that supports or provides background for other musical parts
EXAMPLES - Backup in a Sentence
- Larue is not a long-term backup, even if re-signed. (source)
- The backup is a network of mobile supervisor robots. (source)
- QB Kale Pick, last year's backup, is the other top candidate. (source)
- Now we just get the slogans from them. backup is a special case. (source)
- Just how long does it take to get backup from the Mises. org forum? (source)
- a temporary starter and a long-term backup as the Pistons move forward. (source)
- His primary backup is former Los Angeles Dodgers closer Takashi Saito, 40. (source)
- I guess the only way to backup is to enable pop and periodically back that up. (source)
- I wouldn't trust optical discs for long term backup regardless of their capacity. (source)
- For the Sidekick guys to make a production change without a backup is just insane. (source)
- I use a 25-06 with 75g bullets myself with backup from a .223 Bushmaster Varminter. (source)
- And crosswinds are forecast at the backup, which is Edwards Air Force Base in California. (source)
- And so part of the $625 million is a long-term backup facility that goes out through 2013. (source)
- Having Twitter on as a backup is natural, as there will be a great deal of chatter there as well. (source)
- Eddy Curry - Could be obtainable and offer a longer-term backup Center solution assuming Joel bolts. (source)
- Substantial backup is rarely available and they often operate in small teams deep in enemy territory. (source)
- He said the Rangers have talked about him going to Triple-A Oklahoma City, which he calls a backup plan. (source)
- He can show the Falcons he's worthy of being their long-term backup or show his wares to another franchise. (source)
- If there is a clean backup, restoring from the backup is usually the recommended method of fixing these errors. (source)
- Truth in backup: Even as I read all the postings on this thread, I had a chapter that did not have a single backup. (source)
- DataLock was designed from the ground-up as a white-label backup service for resellers to provide to their customers. (source)
- Dmailer Backup installs software both to the USB-connected external drive you define as the backup drive, and your PC. (source)
- DPM to manage the short term backup rotation, but my experience is that the cost of the servers, storage and licenses ( (source)
- The Yankees are stocked with young catchers, namely backup Francisco Cervelli and prospects Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. (source)
- Hearing footsteps upstairs, two officers called backup and positioned themselves outside the house's doors, according to police. (source)
- When the backup is complete, you should see a folder structure inside the external hard disk that resembles your current hard disk. (source)
- There's an important lesson in here somewhere. long-term backup: a series of short-term formats, punctuated by a series of migrations. (source)
- Mention the terms backup and recovery, and you are almost assured a grimace or roll of the eyes from even the most organized IT administrator. (source)
- Westbrook is a perfect transitional back for a long term backup to Grant while the rookie watches and learns ... as long as he can stay healthy. (source)
- A backup is short-term data recovery solution following loss or corruption and is fundamentally different to an electronic preservation archive. " (source)
- Journeyman Josh McCown was brought in last year as a short-term backup, but they also saw some regression in Matt Moore before his preseason injury. (source)
- The incoming recruiting class is talented enough that freshmen should crack the starting lineup and see much playing time in backup roles and on special teams. (source)
- In Europe, there was an emergency meeting in Paris of 15 European leaders where they say they will continue lending a direct label backup, direct lending with banks. (source)
- At Precinct 141, at the Frank D. Reeves Center at 14th and U Streets NW, some poll workers did not show up this morning, requiring officials to send in backup personnel. (source)
- Sharable content includes photos, videos, music, and documents. activate their free accounts and use the new online backup, which is currently only works with PC computers. (source)
- The refinery still has very limited on-site backup power, consisting of some diesel-powered generation and air compression to provide short-term backup for critical components. (source)
- And then once you go through that troubleshooting procedure, you get into the position of having to go to the backup, which is some sort of hand crank, hand pump system which allows that landing gear to go down. (source)
- The disk price erosion, helped by technology, has certainly made disk a viable short term backup destination and especially because of technology, has make it an option to consider for medium term (~ 7 years) archive. (source)
- For example, if you put the backup and restore scripts in a folder called h: ackup and your run the backup script, it will create a folder called h: ackup weedeckbackup and copy into it all your TweetDeck settings. (source)
- At the end, they had a considerable amount of backup from the audience on three rousing pieces, one in Yiddish, the other two in Ukrainian, which brought tears to my eyes, as people singing wholeheartedly together always does. (source)
- Instead the society, Britain's premier scientific academy, concluded in September that methods to block out the sun "may provide a potentially useful short-term backup to mitigation in case rapid reductions in global temperature are needed". (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 41 example sentences provided below is 59.0, which suggests that "backup" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 3 synonyms for backup.
alternate, extra, substitute
We have 1 antonym for backup.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of backup from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (noun) A reserve or substitute.
- (noun) Computer Science A copy of a program or file that is stored separately from the original.
- (noun) Support or backing.
- (noun) Music A background accompaniment, as for a performer.
- (noun) An overflow or accumulation caused by clogging or by a stoppage: a backup in the sink; a backup of traffic at the drawbridge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) A reserve or substitute.
- (noun) A copy of a file or record, stored separately from the original, that can be used to recover the original if it is destroyed or damaged.
- (noun) An accumulation of material that halts the flow or movement of something.
- (noun) reinforcements
- (adjective) standby, reserve or extra
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) anything kept in reserve to serve as a substitute in case of failure or unavailability of the normal or primary object; -- used for devices, plans, people, etc. Also used attributively.
- (noun) a musician or group of musicians accompanying a soloist, whether vocalists or instrumentalists.
- (noun) a person or group of persons serving as reinforcement for another or others.
- (noun) an accumulation, overflow, or reverse flow (in traffic or a liquid flow system) caused by a stoppage or other malfunction.
- (noun) A copy of a program or data from a computer onto a data-storage medium, usually one that may be removed to safe storage at a distance from the computer; it is used to preserve data for use in the contingency that the original data on the computer may be lost or become unusable. A backup that is removed from the building housing the computer system (to provide protection against loss of data in a disastrous event such as a fire) is called off-site backup. Also used attributively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) a musical part (vocal or instrumental) that supports or provides background for other musical parts
- (noun) an accumulation caused by clogging or a stoppage
- (noun) (computer science) a copy of a file or directory on a separate storage device
- (noun) the act of providing approval and support
- (noun) someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult)