Cabal is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand cabal (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use cabal in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of cabal, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of cabal, followed by 42 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot)
EXAMPLES - Cabal in a Sentence
- Perhaps soon we might even be referred to as a cabal! (source)
- The cabal is the only real threat to national security. (source)
- Then again, the secret cabal is me talking to my roommate. (source)
- "Further, the word cabal, when referring to South Africans of (source)
- Somebody ought to tell Jim Robinson that BHO and his cabal are the real enemy, not Mitt. (source)
- It will be a happy day when the White House cabal is found guilty of treason and war crimes. (source)
- Cepain says: you loons will never understand hat the Bush Cheney cabal is the PROBLEM, not the solution. (source)
- Mr. LAZARUS: The cabal was a group of conservative clerks, about 10 or so, who were at the court my year. (source)
- The Bush cabal is moving full-speed ahead in their plans to establish the Global Empire of Halliburton ... (source)
- There was 'no conspiracy' or 'cabal' - the Zionist campaign was brazenly public, aggressive and reiterative. (source)
- Just like Bush and the Neocons ranting about terrorism, the global warming cabal is a scare tactic to push an agenda. (source)
- Do you believe the "Bush cabal is moving full-speed ahead in their plans to establish the Global Empire of Halliburton"? (source)
- You know these bstds love colour coding and the word cabal is a misnomer for what really goes down - money is just the bulwark. (source)
- The number of Republicans who support this man and his cabal is astonishing, but nothing will change the minds of that percentage. (source)
- Thus, "there was no 'conspiracy' or 'cabal' - the Zionist campaign was brazenly public, aggressive and reiterative," in Petras's words. (source)
- Reporters then asked Gibbs for a response, and when Gibbs dismissed Cheney with the "cabal" quote, that's when the press pool rose up in anger. (source)
- They live in a world of paranoid fantasies, where some secret cabal is supposedly trying to set up a world government to take away their freedoms. (source)
- It wouldn't hurt if DC remotely attempted to find new writers outside of their main cabal (Morrison, Johns, Rucka, Robinson, Tomasi, Gates, Simone). (source)
- And some brilliantly colourful facts too - like where the word 'cabal' comes from, what the war of Jenkins' ear was and who the first 'commoner queen' was. (source)
- "It's colloquially known as the cabal, although it's more like a hierarchy of power cliques, each one staking out its territory," says former contributor Barry Kort. (source)
- "He was seen as a member of the so-called cabal although he was never seen to have been disloyal to Jonathan, he offered his advise at any point bluntly," confirmed our source. (source)
- Note: It so happend, by a whimsical coincidence, that in 1671 the cabinet consisted of five persons, the initial letters of whose names made up the word cabal; Clifford, Arlington, (source)
- Yesterday's Council meeting and the machinations of the Democratic leadership shows that the Sims cabal is scared witless at the prospect of electing the county's Elections Auditor. (source)
- Link this with the Wright story and that will definetly make Obama look like he is victim of a Republican smear campaign/cabal which is EXACTLY what we want to make all of this go away (source)
- By the way the developers who benefit from this are none other than Family and close Business Associates of a certain cabal of Tacoma and Pierce County's elected and appointed officials. (source)
- Within the period when there was a leadership vacuum, the nation suffered, but apparently, it favoured those now being referred to as the cabal or kitchen cabinet to continue the cover up. (source)
- American publishing isn't controlled by what I've heard called a cabal of twenty liberal women from Manhattan (sorry, but that's how a famous conservative writer described it in a candid moment). (source)
- Yes, my fellow Canadians, that is why Stephen Harper with ONLY a minority government, has been able to easily pursue North American Union, with what Mr. Lou Dobbs has referred to as a cabal at the CFR. (source)
- The conservative cabal is shrewd, unified and extremely well funded; they won't let something as simple as e-mail messages get in the way of their long range plans to permanently take control of the US Govermnent. (source)
- Day after day they hesitated, and doubted, and lingered, expecting that other counsels would take place; and were slow to be persuaded, that all which had been done by the cabal was the effect not of humor, but of system. (source)
- Speaking on the conditions of anonymity, he told Daily Champion that the so called cabal was equally misconstrued over its position on Yar'Adua as president and urged Nigerians to give Jonathan the support he needs to perform his function (source)
- The Bush presidency has been somewhat of an aberration, and after 6 years of failed policies, the previous political clout of the GOP cabal, that is, the religious right, business conservatives, and white Southerners is becoming less and less prevalent. (source)
- I was called on, my dearest child, at my advocate's by _Cesario_; there is some great business this evening debated in the cabal, which is at _Monsieur ---- _ in the city; _Cesario_ tells me there is a very diligent search made by _Monsieur_ the Count, your father, for my (source)
- Addressing the PDP and other stakeholders, Clark, who described the so-called cabal around the presidency as "rabid and extremely sycophantic opportunists," lamented that these enemies of the country have done incalculable damage to democracy and good governance of Nigeria. (source)
- Your damn right I am, but where we differ is the degree to which a "heads you lose - tails I win" strategy when the police crack down on criminals is USED furthermore it is actually encouraged by a certain cabal of people with close connections to City Hall and within City Hall. (source)
- Not necessarily about Miers being a "nag" but, with the Fitzgerald storm clouds gathering on the dashboard of Bush's White House, the "cabal" -- as this bunch laughingly dubbed themselves early in this misadministration -- will need every lawyer it can hog-tie and drag into service. (source)
- The two groups of characters at the centre of the play are on one hand, the ruling cabal, that is the King, his Italian Queen and their supporters, including the Italian Malateste and on the other a number of disenchanted Spanish noblemen who are in sympathy with the King's former betrothed lover, Onaelia. (source)
- Wilkerson has been one of the Bush administration's harshest critics, accusing former vice president Dick Cheney and former defense secretary Donald Rumsfeld of heading a national security "cabal" that engaged in a series of "aberrations, bastardizations, perturbations [and] changes to the national-security decision-making process." (source)
- He was the one that was expounding and putting together what he called even a cabal, that is, a takeover group to take over the United States government through the doctrine of supply side economics -- this wonderful theory that if you cut the taxes for the rich, the factories would hum, we'd all be better off, and there wouldn't be any deficits. (source)
- This little exhort -- delivered, as usual, with just enough false modesty and contrived acquiescence to be able to claim a lack of bias -- was pretty good stuff on its own (regardless of the fact that it had been cribbed wholesale from the Politico's resident silver spoon-fed douchebag, Ben Smith, who broke the "conference call cabal" story three days earlier). (source)
- Dr. Ian Swayze who was and still is working at CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health) in Toronto had in interesting patient; paranoid schizophrenic Scott Jeffrey Schultzman aka "Professor Scott Starson" who always protested being medicated as he claimed that medication was slowing his thought process and "consilium", that is what you call cabal of three doctors, decided to use these protests in order to throw a monkey wrench into Canadian legal system and do it quick enough so the issue of informed consent could be done away with by the time they face their own trial. (source)
- Dr. Ian Swayze who was and still is working at CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health) in Toronto had in interesting patient; paranoid schizophrenic Scott Jeffrey Schultzman aka "Professor Scott Starson" who always protested being medicated as he claimed that medication was slowing his thought process and "consilium", that is what you call cabal of three doctors, decided to use these protests in order to throw a monkey wrench into Canadian legal system and do it quick enough so the issue of informed consent could be done away with by the courts before they face their own trial. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 42 example sentences provided below is 47.0, which suggests that "cabal" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 3 synonyms for cabal.
conspiracy, intrigue, scheme
We have 0 antonyms for cabal.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
Pronunciation: (kə-bălˈ, -bälˈ)
View up to 25 definitions of cabal from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (noun) A conspiratorial group of plotters or intriguers: "Espionage is quite precisely it—a cabal of powerful men, working secretly” ( Frank Conroy).
- (noun) A secret scheme or plot.
- (verb-intransitive) To form a cabal; conspire.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) A usually secret exclusive organization of individuals gathered for a political purpose.
- (noun) A secret plot.
- (noun) An identifiable group within the tradition of Discordianism.
- (verb) To engage in the activities of a cabal
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) Tradition; occult doctrine. See cabala.
- (noun) A secret.
- (noun) A number of persons united in some close design, usually to promote their private views and interests in church or state by intrigue; a secret association composed of a few designing persons; a junto.
- (noun) The secret artifices or machinations of a few persons united in a close design; intrigue.
- (verb-intransitive) To unite in a small party to promote private views and interests by intrigue; to intrigue; to plot.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (noun) The cabala (which see).
- (noun) A secret.
- (noun) Conjoint intrigue; secret artifices of a few persons united in some design: as, “curs'd cabals of women,”
- (noun) A number of persons united in some close design, usually to promote their private views in church or state by intrigue; a junto.
- (None) To form a cabal; intrigue conjointly; unite in secret artifices to effect some design.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) a plot to carry out some harmful or illegal act (especially a political plot)
- (verb) engage in plotting or enter into a conspiracy, swear together
- (noun) a clique (often secret) that seeks power usually through intrigue