Caliphate is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand caliphate (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use caliphate in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of caliphate, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of caliphate, followed by 40 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
caliphate(kāˈlĭ-fātˌ, -fĭt, kălˈĭ-)
(noun) - the office of a caliph
EXAMPLES - Caliphate in a Sentence
- I think I nipped that "caliphate" thing in the bud. (source)
- Blueprint, this is the sort of "caliphate" worth working towards. (source)
- I know the idea of a world caliphate is the dream of every muslim. (source)
- a "caliphate", or successorship, encompassing much of western Iraq. (source)
- The word caliphate has been used in the president ` s speeches a lot lately. (source)
- The guide also bans the use of the word caliphate to describe Al Qaeda's goal. (source)
- Please read this article and send it to those scream "caliphate" like it's a slogan. (source)
- "caliphate", initially in Muslim-majority countries and then across the rest of the world. (source)
- Prof. LEWIS: The caliphate is the headship of Islam, and Islam is seen as a single community. (source)
- If muslims believe jihad is necessary and establishing a caliphate is a goal, then I hate islam. (source)
- I believe that historical tie was called a caliphate, and here is a Kosovo-Turkey cultural commonality: (source)
- I think technically a caliphate is a theocracy, and theocracies can vary from Utah, to Britain, Egypt and Iran. (source)
- The term "caliphate" refers to a governance system based on sharia law as formerly used by successive Islamic empires. (source)
- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and others have invoked the word caliphate as a warning to the West about terrorist designs. (source)
- To slur the word caliphate is to insult the chief function of the caliph, to defend the lands of Islam against foreign invaders. (source)
- A key point in Bush's argument is that al-Qaeda has expressed a dream of creating a "caliphate" reaching from Spain to Indonesia. (source)
- It is striving for a '' caliphate '' - Islamic rule under sharia law from the Middle East to Indonesia, including North Africa and Spain. (source)
- Plus, given the strife between Sunni and Shiite sects, it's hard to conceive how a unified global Islamic "caliphate" would be imaginable. (source)
- "There is absolutely no credence to the notion that the quest for the caliphate is the overriding goal of the Islamist movement in the region." (source)
- Many other groups have set up their own 'caliphate' in a token attempt to carve out some territorial enclaves, ostensibly under the rule of Islam. (source)
- They say Hezbollah today is -- is not all about getting a global Islamic caliphate, which is al Qaeda's sort of global mission statement, if you will. (source)
- Needless to say, as a potential political weapon, throwing the term 'caliphate' around is akin to making unfounded threats about WMD and mushroom clouds. (source)
- The leaked information concerning the motivation of the London bombers does not suggest that the creation of a caliphate was a motivation for the attacks. (source)
- They hope to establish a violent political utopia across the Middle East, which they call caliphate, where all would be ruled according to their hateful ideology. (source)
- I know the overarching desire for Bin Laden 'n' Company was to establish a "caliphate," or a giant fundamentalist Muslim country stretching across the Middle East. (source)
- Listen to him when he tells you that Iraq is the central front of the war, because it is the capital of the caliphate, which is the idea of a unified Islamic state. (source)
- I think it is very clear that if you look at the LeT's strategy it is to weaken India and to help establish the caliphate which is part of their ideological program ... (source)
- Al-Qaeda was certainly capable of doing real harm every couple of years, but their strength remained minimal, their "caliphate" a joke, and Afghanistan -- for anyone but Afghans (source)
- Hezbollah seeks to impose sharia on the "modern" country of Lebanon and has as its goal the establishment of an Islamic caliphate, which is one of the express objectives of sharia. (source)
- The mosque is a meeting place for followers of Hizb ut-Tahrir, a worldwide Islamist group that wants to establish a pan-national Muslim state, called a caliphate, albeit nonviolently. (source)
- Their claims have failed to come to fruition, "he said, referring to the declaration by Islamic radicals that they had established a" caliphate ", or successorship, encompassing much of western Iraq. (source)
- In Bush's world, however, the "caliphate" is not just a ploy by al-Qaeda leaders to keep impressionable young jihadists in line; it is an entity that would be "extended" if U.S. forces withdraw from Iraq. (source)
- Parallel to its rejection of secularism, democracy and nationalism is its oft-repeated objective of restoration of the 'caliphate', emphasis on ummah and the need for jihad to establish the supremacy of Islam. (source)
- The tenacity with which the organization is working can be gauged from the fact it aims to establish a state where stoning to death, and chopping of limbs would be common punishments for those who would defy the 'caliphate'. (source)
- Al-Qaeda was certainly capable of doing real harm every couple of years, but their strength remained minimal, their "caliphate" a joke, and Afghanistan -- for anyone but Afghans -- truly represented the backlands of the planet. (source)
- And while Bush himself has not actually used the term caliphate, he's essentially described it last week when declaring that the terrorists are seeking to establish "a totalitarian Islamic empire that reaches from Indonesia to Spain." (source)
- Hassan Abbas, author and former police officer, refers to this as Sharif's dream of a 'caliphate', he wanted to use the army to run the civil administration also, drawing it closer into his embrace, but failed to get the amendment through. (source)
- That is why these madmen turn to the sword - they folow the delusion of ALL self righteous nutcases that violence, intimidation and bloodshed are the way to advance civilisation (in this case, the one word caliphate) and right perceived wrongs. (source)
- We should not assume that the only valid or serious Muslim position is that which is usually expressed in terms of working for a universal 'caliphate', the restoration of a practically homogeneous social order under the governance of a religiously-legitimated ruler. (source)
- Aardvark's point about an AQThird life also fails to account for phenomena such as the virtual caliphate, which is running in the UK, where users log into areas to see and hear sermons by dead or expelled radical preachers - there continues to be a market for extremism and virtual exposure to it is potentially more powerful than real exposure. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 40 example sentences provided below is 46.0, which suggests that "caliphate" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 7 synonyms for caliphate.
caliph, climate, collate, colligate, collimate, cultivate, salivate
We have 0 antonyms for caliphate.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
Pronunciation: (kāˈlĭ-fātˌ, -fĭt, kălˈĭ-)
View up to 25 definitions of caliphate from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (noun) The office or jurisdiction of a caliph. The last caliphate was held by Ottoman Turkish sultans until it was abolished by Kemal Atatürk in 1924.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) A unified federal Islamic government for the Muslim world, ruled by an elected head of state or caliph.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) The office, dignity, or government of a caliph or of the caliphs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) the office of a caliph
- (noun) the era of Islam's ascendancy from the death of Mohammed until the 13th century; some Moslems still maintain that the Moslem world must always have a calif as head of the community
- (noun) the territorial jurisdiction of a caliph