Ecosystem is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand ecosystem (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use ecosystem in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of ecosystem, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of ecosystem, followed by 43 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - a system formed by the interaction of a community of organisms with their physical environment
EXAMPLES - Ecosystem in a Sentence
- The closed ecosystem is getting to me more and more. (source)
- Long-term ecosystem response to the Exxon Valdez oil spill. (source)
- Don't ever call the ecosystem natural, the green hordes will smite you! (source)
- Park boundaries were drawn before the word ecosystem was in the dictionary. (source)
- The one thing we really need to complete the ecosystem is a couple of runaway successes. (source)
- If Europeans were whales, biologists would be alarmed that their ecosystem is not healthy. (source)
- The "trade-off" is you must work within Apple's ecosystem, which is what Lyons is really afraid of. (source)
- Local responses need to be guided by consistent measurement of indicators of long-term ecosystem change. (source)
- National Science Foundation first added cities (Baltimore and Phoenix) to its long-term ecosystem studies. (source)
- He said among the reasons for the poor preservation of the ecosystem was the incomplete listing of protected areas. (source)
- University of South Florida's Ernst Peebles said the oil on the floor "is undermining the ecosystem from the bottom up." (source)
- It is a given that our ecosystem is a closed system with the exception of sunlight and the odd bit that comes to us from space. (source)
- These days the Newfoundland ecosystem is being altered by over browsing from the more than 750,000 moose that call the Rock home. (source)
- Any and all help will be appreciated. jemimag Jemima Question: Business people now like 2 use word ecosystem 2 refer 2 markets (Brent). (source)
- The most important non-living element of the Pine Barrens ecosystem is water, considering its availability and characteristic chemistry. (source)
- This emphasis on the entire "ecosystem" - including console sales, and software and accessories - is behind Microsoft's "best-ever" claim. (source)
- These so-called ecosystem services are instrumental in protecting vulnerable communities against the impact of climate change already underway. (source)
- He describes fire as a force that should be understood, often welcomed, used as appropriate and more frequently incorporated into long-term ecosystem management. (source)
- Markets identify the benefits humans derive from ecosystems, called ecosystem services, and associate them with economic values which can be bought, sold or traded. (source)
- In fact, the term ecosystem refers to a self-organizing and self-regulating interaction of independent organisms; it is not a checklist of the local flora and fauna. (source)
- Some scientists said it will take months and even years to fully understand how Ike affected the bay's complex ecosystem, which is home to an astonishing array of life. (source)
- For these reasons as well as many logistical ones (e.g., ownership and administrative control), these watersheds are ideal for conducting long-term ecosystem experiments. (source)
- For all the talk about a chronic shortage of exits for venture-backed companies, one segment of the venture capital technology ecosystem is poised to go from hot to hotter (source)
- Help us paint a more complete picture of the private-label ecosystem by posting a comment here, or emailing your thoughts and findings to: email@example.com (source)
- For all the talk about a chronic shortage of exits for venture-backed companies, one segment of the venture capital technology ecosystem is poised to go from "hot" to "hotter". (source)
- Long term ecosystem level experiments at Toolik Lake, Alaska and at Abisko, Northern Sweden: generalisations and differences in ecosystem and plant type responses to global change. (source)
- "The Scotia Barrens ecosystem, which is a scrub oak, pitch pine barrens, depends on fire to regenerate itself," said Bill Capouillez, the agency's director of Wildlife Habitat Management. (source)
- For all the talk about a chronic shortage of exits for venture-backed companies, one segment of the venture capital technology ecosystem is poised to go from "hot" to "hotter": Cyber-security. (source)
- For all the talk about a chronic shortage of exits for venture-backed com panies, one segment of the venture capital technology ecosystem is poised to go from "hot" to "hotter": Cyber-security. (source)
- During the predator exploration, participants learned why predators are a vital part of the Yellowstone ecosystem, which is the only place with a complete, intact ecosystem in the United States. (source)
- The President's recent "Forest Plan for a Sustainable Economy and a Sustainable Environment" (Forest Plan) exemplifies a proactive approach to federal environmental policy known as ecosystem management. (source)
- The first step to recovery of the Gulf marine ecosystem is to identify all sources of past, present and future environmental degradation, including fully understanding the long-term impacts of the BP oil disaster. (source)
- The researchers also suggest that factors other than temperature, such as the slow, ongoing transformations of carbon in the soil and water availability, appear to play crucial roles in long-term ecosystem carbon balances. (source)
- Snyder's good friend, American writer and translator Eliot Weinberger, emphasized the poet's activism in his opening remarks: "You can't introduce Gary Snyder without using the word ecosystem in the first sentence, like I just did." (source)
- "The service providers that I talk with, which is pretty much all the big ones, their focus has pretty much moved away from killer services and they're now less service-focused than what I'll call ecosystem-focused," said Nolle of CIMI Corp. (source)
- In addition the combination of alluvial, sandstone and limestone ecosystems is unique in South East Asia and provides opportunities to understand long-term ecosystem dynamics, landscape ecology and the impacts of visitors on tropical protected areas. (source)
- It was proven THEN that - in the Alaskan ecosystem, which is an extremely harsh one and one in which natural predators have historically never overtaken the prey populations - aerial hunting is more a commercial enterprise than a true management technique. (source)
- He is also expected to propose that pricing biodiversity will provide firms with a clear financial incentive to limit their impact on species and the so-called ecosystem services they deliver in the form of clean air, water, soil, food, and other natural resources. (source)
- So far, it has not found worrisome impacts - though those short-term ecosystem impacts so far are hardly definitive. as damaging as originally thought don't change the need for long-term evaluation of the effects of dispersants on deep ocean ecosystems, say environmentalists. (source)
- The ecosystem is a great topic when times are tough since most companies have at least two of the technologies we'll discuss (web analytics, voice of customer, customer experience management, testing, personalization) but have done very little to actually integrate the systems. (source)
- Hence, best guess is that they are REALLY going after the Nokia and Symbian ecosystem, which is fine and logical, as it represents a comparable structure in terms of variety of device form-factors, multi-carrier approach and Nokia/Symbian has a dispirited developer base, so it's low hanging fruit. (source)
- Media group to create digital video 'ecosystem' - LOS ANGELES - A group of media industry companies said it is planning to build a digital world where video devices and content websites play together in perfect harmony, and consumers can safely store their digital content and access it anywhere in the world. (source)
- "The communications industry 'ecosystem'-encompassing regulators, Internet service providers, advertising, and media customers and service providers-finds itself in Google's crosshairs, not because Google necessarily wants to compete with telecom service providers or content developers, but because it finds their business process to be an impediment to innovation and change," says Alex Winogradoff, Research Vice President at Gartner. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 43 example sentences provided below is 33.0, which suggests that "ecosystem" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 2 synonyms for ecosystem.
ecological community, environs
We have 0 antonyms for ecosystem.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
Pronunciation: (ēˈkō-sĭsˌtəm, ĕkˈō-)
View up to 25 definitions of ecosystem from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (noun) An ecological community together with its environment, functioning as a unit.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) A system formed by an ecological community and its environment that functions as a unit.
- (noun) The interconnectedness of organisms (plants, animals, microbes) with each other and their environment.
- (noun) A set of interconnected products and services.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) a system formed by the interaction of a community of organisms with their physical environment