Gene is a slightly difficult word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand gene (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use gene in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of gene, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of gene, followed by 35 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - (genetics) a segment of DNA that is involved in producing a polypeptide chain; it can include regions preceding and following the coding DNA as well as introns between the exons; it is considered a unit of heredity
EXAMPLES - Gene in a Sentence
- Gene comes from a Greek word meaning "to give birth to". (source)
- UNIDENTIFIED MALE: See if you can call Gene or Jay -- we could call Gene. (source)
- 'Gene's been at it quite a while, and he's stavin' away like all possessed. (source)
- On Sept 3, 1955, in Kansas City, she married Lester E. "Gene" Schmitt, who survives. (source)
- Mr. and Mrs. Felix E. "Gene" Seay of Kinston celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at (source)
- She stepped to the door to listen, and heard 'Gene's mother cackling away like an old hen. (source)
- Reservations may be made by calling Gene and Patti Slavin at 793-2358 or e-mailing email@example.com. (source)
- Eugene "Gene" Baker, 59, was a well-known and appreciated member of the community for about 34 years. (source)
- "Gene," my father called through the booth a few minutes later, "while we're waiting, let's do a run-through." (source)
- DIXON - Eugene W. "Gene" Cover, 72, of Dixon, died Tuesday, April 7, 2009, at KSB Hospital after an extended illness. (source)
- And she said that she was just going to call Gene's parents and all of our friends and let them know we were all right. (source)
- When the amendment was turned into a law -- known as the Gene Technology Act -- it didn't say anything specific about plants. (source)
- General Victor "Gene" Renuart told the Associated Press that it would be naive to assume that those terror cells do not exist. (source)
- Today, we must rely on biotechnology to deliver many of the same benefits in what might usefully be called the Gene Revolution. (source)
- For example, when I sit down with Gene, I check to see if anything is on my @Gene list - those help build my part of the agenda. (source)
- But 'Gene's attitude was of strained, expectant certainty: he stood near Nelly and as she looked up at the tree, he looked at her. (source)
- Also featured in Thursday's episode is William "Gene" Ivey, an Ider native and fiddle maker and musician for more than seven decades. (source)
- For Ween fans, Aaron Freeman aka Gene Ween playing a tiny, acoustic concert is akin to Bruce Springsteen playing a secret bar show in Jersey. (source)
- She was reeling now, with shock after shock; Cousin Hetty's death, 'Gene's dreadful secret, the discovery no longer to be evaded of what Vincent (source)
- There always have been Powerses living right there, where they do now; that big pine that towers up so over their house was planted by 'Gene's great-grandfather. (source)
- "Our resources and our equipment are set up to do the northbound examinations," said Eugenio "Gene" Garza, the Laredo port director for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. (source)
- GENE (ph) (Audience Member): Yes, Gene is my name, and I'd like to find out, if this oil turns out to be from the Deepwater Horizon, how is that going to complicate things? (source)
- And as for 'Gene's jealousy, I'll swear that it amounts to no more than a vague dislike for Frank Warner's' all the time hanging around and gassin 'instead of stickin' to work. ' (source)
- That said, you can imagine my reaction when I learned that A&E's latest foray into the creatively-exhausted reality series genre would be a show called Gene Simmons Family Jewels. (source)
- So, Lefsetz called Gene on some of this, suggesting (rightly, as far as I am concerned) that Simmons's announcement of his own music label at Canadian Music Week shows a man who is (source)
- As a matter of fact, the lawyer hasn't dared to cut the lumber off it yet, because his claim is pretty flimsy; but flimsy or not, the law regards it as slightly better than 'Gene's. (source)
- And that hateful old Mrs. Hewitt, just after they'd moved back to Ashley, didn't she have to go and tell her about 'Gene's being born too soon after his father and mother were married? (source)
- 'Gene's mother came to the door, asked if the butter was coming all right, looked at her, and said, "My! Nelly, you get better looking every day you live," and went back to her bread-baking. (source)
- I thought for a moment he was going to congratulate Alex on rejecting his proposal, which seemed tantamount to signing on for the same kind of corruption that Gene is now dead-set on fighting. (source)
- And then, that last gesture of 'Gene's when he took Nelly into his great arms, closely, hiding her face on his shoulder, as the huge tree, roaring downward, bore them both to the earth, forever. (source)
- I won't bother you going into the legal details -- a question of a fake warranty deed, against 'Gene's quit-claim deed, which was all he had in absence of those missing pages from the town records. (source)
- It all came up before her as she talked, that horrid encounter with commercial ruthlessness: she saw again poor 'Gene's outraged face of helpless anger, felt again the heat of sympathetic indignation she and (source)
- Santa Fe attorney J.E. "Gene" Gallegos and UNM undergraduate Emily "Cate" Wisdom have joined the UNM Board of Regents, following the recent resignation of John "Mel" Eaves and the graduation of former student regent Dahlia Dorman. (source)
- I heard Keeble's despairing voice shouting 'Gene' in the second before I went under, but I was thinking simply that speed was the only chance of finding Teller, since anything that sank in a river the size of the Thames was instantly out of sight. (source)
- Brazosport ISD trustees will discuss renaming the Brazoswood Ninth Grade Center after H.E. "Gene" Marcum and the Clute Intermediate stadium after William Morrow when the board has its regular meeting at 5 p.m. Tuesday at the Administration Building, 301 W. Brazoswood Drive. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 35 example sentences provided below is 65.0, which suggests that "gene" is a standard word that is understood by individuals with a high school diploma or degree, and can be found in news articles, books, magazines and other places.
We have 5 synonyms for gene.
RNA, chromosome, genetic code, heredity, nucleic acid
We have 0 antonyms for gene.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of gene from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (proper-noun) A diminutive of Eugene, also used as a formal male given name.
- (proper-noun) (Can we verify(+) this sense?) Genoa.
- (proper-noun) (Can we verify(+) this sense?) jean, denim cloth colored with Genovese blue dye.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (noun) A form of -gen in some words from or made after the French model, as in amphigene.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) (genetics) a segment of DNA that is involved in producing a polypeptide chain; it can include regions preceding and following the coding DNA as well as introns between the exons; it is considered a unit of heredity