Ideology is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand ideology (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use ideology in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of ideology, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of ideology, followed by 38 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - an orientation that characterizes the thinking of a group or nation
EXAMPLES - Ideology in a Sentence
- Demolishing their free market ideology is quite easy. (source)
- Their ideology is basically worship of Hitler and Nazis. (source)
- If your ideology is the only thing driving you ... resign. (source)
- But then, consistency in ideology is not the strong suit of many. (source)
- Liberals don ` t see -- liberals need ideology, that is their leader. (source)
- What should count, no matter what the ideology is the education of kids. (source)
- Which in turn will probably bring a short term ideology conflict to erupt. (source)
- I think looking at this from the standpoint of ideology is hopelessly wrongheaded. (source)
- How anyone can twist his words to make it Obama "ideology" is beyond comprehension? (source)
- Yechiel; your history of the writings is "Secular;" for which I called your ideology (source)
- Your ideology is a failure, and you cannot change your ideology so you continue to fail. (source)
- Your ideology is code for "let's make everyone equally poor and governed by the elite few". (source)
- The whole point of his ideology is that, knowing the answers, he can just serve up whatever fits it. (source)
- And all he could do was kind of rely on these scraps of broken ideology, which is really all he had left. (source)
- They call their ideology "21st century socialism," and I ask Mr. Uribe if thinks it is a threat to the region. (source)
- 4 People interested by this graph on the rise of the term ideology should read Frances Lee's "Beyond Ideology." (source)
- Al Qaeda has longevity, they have perseverance, they're tough, their ideology is the base of what they're doing. (source)
- I despise Galloway's rotten politics, warped ideology (if it could be called ideology), and treasonous behaviour. (source)
- The whole point of his ideology is that, knowing the answers, he can just serve up whatever fits it. mickster Says: (source)
- The Wagner family's close connections to the Nazis and their ideology were a recurring theme during Wolfgang's tenure. (source)
- You don't walk the walk, your ideology is the same as that of the Stalinists and Nazis, the same as Mussolini's fascisti. (source)
- Moreover, the regime still pledges its loyalty to Marxist-Leninist ideology, which is directly at odds with human liberty. (source)
- The republicans are mired in ideology and the democrats are use to thinking in terms of it being a center right country (though it is not) (source)
- You are well aware what you call ideology will not again be revived; and -- "--" I know what you are going to say; but it all amounts to nothing. (source)
- I read this blog everyday, I give you hits, I learn what your ideology is about, I internalize it, and I try to figure out why you all believe what you do. (source)
- Instead, Hasan made no attempt to hide his religion or his conservative Muslim ideology, which is exactly why some experts are convinced Nidal Hasan is not a terrorist. (source)
- However, I think it fair to call the apologists for global corporatism cynical when they call their ideology "free market," when nothing could be further from the truth. (source)
- Arguments couched along the lines of "I am right because my ideology is a religion, but yours is wrong because it isn't a religion" are logically false and serve to score an own goal. (source)
- If this kind of ideology is allowed to spring up in America, then any business that figures it need to rape the pockets of the citizens, will use the government as the tool of enforcement. (source)
- And, really, any individual who speaks out in ways that the government doesn't like risks being accused of this genocide ideology, which is a serious criminal offense punishable with imprisonment. (source)
- The ideology is the catechism of the Church of the Savvy replete with all sorts of subjective assumptions about how government should work, and how the American public should view campaign promises. (source)
- It's a historic opportunity to spread freedom (inaudible) the great alternative to their ideology is a society based upon human rights and human dignity, a society in which every man, woman and child is free. (source)
- The term ideology is often associated in people's minds with dogmatism and intolerance, but in fact, every society has needed a set of shared assumptions to provide it with a settled view about living together. (source)
- That being written, Harper's stated opposition to "ideology" - as if a comprehensive world-view based on fundamental economic and social principles is a bad thing - and his shift to the left doesn't need to be part of the party's newfound brand consciousness. (source)
- I'm usually ok doing presentations and speeches. .i used to do public speaking at school. .won a couple of competitions here and there. .but with those i usually got to choose the subject matter. .with this it was set for me and i really don't have a clue about the term ideology at all. (source)
- That is not the result of ideology - the ideology is the result of the suffering, just as when unemployment rocketed in the North of England when textile mills closed a large minority of white people turned to the neo-fascist BNP and a large minority of British Asians there turned to Islamic fundamentalism. (source)
- Duncan McFarlane (26 Mar 9: 46pm): ".... the ideology is the result of the suffering, just as when unemployment rocketed in the North of England when textile mills closed a large minority of white people turned to the neo-fascist BNP and a large minority of British Asians there turned to Islamic fundamentalism," (source)
- As an expat living in China, I've come to not expect such paradigm shifts in Chinese ideology, not because I believe any less in change, but because I believe that there are many paths to change -- some of them breeding chaos, others breeding clarity, all of them containing multitudes that help sharpen our perspectives. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 38 example sentences provided below is 54.0, which suggests that "ideology" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 14 synonyms for ideology.
Weltanschauung, articles of faith, credo, creed, culture, dogma, ideas, outlook, philosophy, principles, system, tenets, theory, view
We have 0 antonyms for ideology.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
Pronunciation: (īˌdē-ŏlˈə-jē, ĭdˌē-)
View up to 25 definitions of ideology from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (noun) The body of ideas reflecting the social needs and aspirations of an individual, group, class, or culture.
- (noun) A set of doctrines or beliefs that form the basis of a political, economic, or other system.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) Doctrine, philosophy, body of beliefs or principles belonging to an individual or group.
- (noun) The study of the origin and nature of ideas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) The science of ideas.
- (noun) A theory of the origin of ideas which derives them exclusively from sensation.
- (noun) A set or system of theories and beliefs held by an individual or group, especially about sociopolitical goals and methods to attain them; in common usage, ideology is such a set of beliefs so strongly held by their adherents as to cause them to ignore evidence against such beliefs, and thus fall into error -- in this sense it is viewed as a negative trait; contrasted to
pragmatism, and distinct from idealism.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (noun) The science of ideas or of mind; a name applied by the later disciples of the French philosopher Condillac to the history and evolution of human ideas, considered as so many successive forms or modes of certain original or transformed sensations; that system of mental philosophy which derives knowledge exclusively from sensation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) an orientation that characterizes the thinking of a group or nation
- (noun) imaginary or visionary theorization