Illogical is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand illogical (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use illogical in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of illogical, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of illogical, followed by 40 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - lacking orderly continuity
EXAMPLES - Illogical in a Sentence
- I hate that kind of illogical, unscientific moralizing. (source)
- _Transit_ is in strict terms illogical, since an Olympiad once completed (source)
- To then deny them resident fees in college would be "illogical," he said. (source)
- Dear St. Thomas, how sad that someone so illogical is masquerading as you. (source)
- An application that appears cluttered or illogical is harder to understand and use. (source)
- We may now turn to the complaint that it is "illogical" to withhold the vote from women. (source)
- Sometimes, the best ideas start with the "illogical" and are shaped into a logical reality. (source)
- I like dawkins upsetting the illogical is a good thing. that said god botherers do a lot of good. (source)
- This is the kind of illogical thinking that has plunged our nation further and further in to debt. (source)
- Libya's foreign ministry called Nasrallah's remarks "illogical" and accused the cleric of "hysteria." (source)
- A Delta spokeswoman said it is "illogical" that union status must be settled before seniority issues are. (source)
- The allegation that Iran is providing arms and assistance to Hamas has been denied as "illogical" by many pundits. (source)
- It would on this principle be "illogical" to except, under conscription, the female population from military service. (source)
- We would never go as far as Stephen King, who called the illogical series one of his favorites, but it will be missed. (source)
- "If we can't predict it, there's nothing we can do about it," he said with what she thought was a kind of illogical logic. (source)
- It's "illogical" to deprive the state of the funds needed for public works programs, he told public television channel ARD. (source)
- Ukraine surprised by England 'illogical' Poland Euro 2012 base Advertisement England decision 'illogical' - Ukraine ambassador (source)
- AHMADINEJAD: ... and it's kind of illogical, given that we have cooperated with the IAEA and now are being accused of non-cooperation. (source)
- I speak of my hope as "illogical" for if the literary monthly of my own publishers could not find a place for it, how could I reasonably expect (source)
- If this kind of illogical reasoning is your evidence that weekly pot smoking doesn't harm your brain, then you aren't making a very strong case, my friend. (source)
- As a progressive who was trained in the realist school of international relations, let me say this - get over the hand-wringing over the "illogical" masses. (source)
- Teddy Roosevelt endorsed an effort to remove spellings that many Americans perceived to be cumbersome and illogical from the English language as used in America. (source)
- Cameron said the visa restrictions were "illogical" and "nearly led to the cancellation of my last trip to China because of a misunderstanding between government departments." (source)
- Mr Duncan Smith said he wants to unify the disparate elements that form the benefits structure as well as rectifying the "illogical" position of benefits paying more than work. (source)
- Ministers said they also wanted to unify the disparate elements that form the benefits structure as well as rectifying the "illogical" position of benefits paying more than work. (source)
- A second group of documents released by the television channel quoted Abbas as saying it would be "illogical" to ask Israel to absorb 5 million refugees as part of a final peace deal. (source)
- Thirdly, claiming to dislike conservatives because they are 'illogical' and then in the same sentence criticizing them for 'inhumanity' is, ironically, an EXTREMELY illogical statement. (source)
- The president's mentor, Ayatollah Mohammad Taqi Mesbah Yazdi, said Ahmadinejad is increasingly turning friends into enemies and demonstrating what he called "illogical and cheap" behavior. (source)
- Much of MND's performances during the last part of his life can be described as illogical yet logical, rational yet irrational, bizarre yet normal, foolish yet sharp, and simple yet profound. (source)
- A well-known columnist in a leading business newspaper claims she received a call from Deveshwar after she referred to some "illogical" players in the FMCG industry in one of her recent columns. (source)
- He said it would be "illogical" to keep Pikoli on in the post, and that he had decided Pikoli "should be relieved of his responsibility as the country's national director of public prosecutions". (source)
- Evidently it doesn't seem so to you, so you can't help me with my "illogical" query: How in heaven's name can Obama be consistently slumming down there in the mid-forties where John McCain hangs out? (source)
- Iran's foreign ministry spokesman said restricting Iran's oil and gas exports - an idea not included in the latest proposals agreed by Western powers - was "illogical" and that all sanctions would fail. (source)
- As the heat builds over the contentious law change, which Computerworld covered extensively last year, the New Zealand Computer Society (NZCS) described the Act as "illogical" - and potentially ethically flawed. (source)
- His comments came after a second cache of documents released by the television channel quotes Mr. Abbas as saying it would be "illogical" to ask Israel to absorb five million refugees as part of a final peace deal. (source)
- A second cache of documents released by the Al Jazeera television channel quotes Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as saying it would be "illogical" to ask Israel to absorb 5 million refugees as part of a final peace deal. (source)
- Under the rules, which ministers have conceded are "illogical", British expats in 150 countries including Australia, Canada and South Africa do not see their state pension increased annually in line with inflation, as happens in Britain and the EU. (source)
- Refusing to sell uranium to India, which can now import nuclear technology from the U.S. and gets uranium from Canada, is "illogical," Julie Bishop, the opposition's foreign affairs spokesman, told reporters in Sydney today, according to an e - mailed transcript. (source)
- An example of what I would call illogical are Creationists who continue to dismiss evolution as nothing more than a cheap card trick despite all the evidence including nature right outside their window and the several wildly different breeds of man's best friend that show otherwise. (source)
- Though Palestinian negotiators told their Israeli counterparts that refugees must be able to choose if they want to return to what is now Israel, the leaks quoted Abbas as telling Palestinian negotiators that it would be "illogical" to expect 5 million or even 1 million to exercise the "right of return." (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 40 example sentences provided below is 44.0, which suggests that "illogical" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 41 synonyms for illogical.
absurd, casuistic, cockeyed, fallacious, false, fatuous, faulty, groundless, hollow, implausible, inconclusive, incongruous, inconsequent, inconsistent, incorrect, invalid, irrational, irrelevant, mad, meaningless, not following, nutty, off the wall, preposterous, screwy, self-contradictory, senseless, sophistic, sophistical, specious, spurious, unconnected, unproved, unreasonable, unscientific, unsound, unsubstantial, untenable, wacky, without basis, without foundation
We have 9 antonyms for illogical.
correct, logical, meaningful, rational, reasonable, right, sensible, true, wise
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of illogical from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adjective) Contradicting or disregarding the principles of logic.
- (adjective) Without logic; senseless.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Contrary to logic; lacking sense or sound reasoning.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adjective) Ignorant or negligent of the rules of logic or correct reasoning; ; contrary of the rules of logic or sound reasoning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Ignorant or negligent of the rules of logic or sound reasoning: as, an illogical disputant.
- (None) Contrary to the rules of logic or sound reasoning: as, an illogical inference.
- (None) Synonyms Inconclusive, inconsequent, unsound, fallacious, sophistical.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) lacking orderly continuity
- (adjective) lacking in correct logical relation