Jaded is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand jaded (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use jaded in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of jaded, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of jaded, followed by 42 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - exhausted
EXAMPLES - Jaded in a Sentence
- Is it simply because they haven't become jaded yet? (source)
- "I'm kind of jaded, like many, about our government." (source)
- If that makes me appear "jaded" to others, well, so be it. (source)
- "It seems like a lot of girls are kind of jaded," she said. (source)
- I write derivative work and read it everyday, and I'm not "jaded". (source)
- Pingback from Pages tagged "jaded" on February 5, 2008 at 11: 01 pm (source)
- Digital age has kind of jaded me to the concept of books made of paper. (source)
- Even Michigan State hero Magic Johnson looks kind of jaded by the success. (source)
- I can't say "jaded", but rather less naive and not as optimistic as I used to be. (source)
- So I'm at the ALA Conference in New Orleans and I've reached a kind of jaded nirvana. (source)
- I'm feeling kind of jaded since I totally felt Nicole Kidman was knocked up and then she (source)
- I'm not "jaded" about social media and I will continue to participate in the conversation. (source)
- Given that you referred to the other employees as "jaded" people who are "unhappy" and have a (source)
- In Canada, only "jaded" Montreal "has some of the romance and drama municipal greatness is made of." (source)
- Maybe "jaded" isn't quite exactly the right word ... more like - little nuances that annoy me ever so slightly. (source)
- JUDGE CAL, PSEUDOPOLITICS. COM: My generation in particular is kind of jaded as far as these conventions and things. (source)
- Not every crime is news worthy but, given the 'jaded' eye of the media, how much crime goes unreported by the 'watchdogs' of society? (source)
- Kate Hudson insists her failed marriage to Chris Robinson hasn't left her '' jaded '' about love and she would consider marrying again. (source)
- [to the film's promotional tour] and we're still able to talk about the film; if it were my own album, I'd be kind of jaded by this time. (source)
- '' jaded '' with the '' financial conglomerate model '' of investment banking and the time was ripe for a new, strong and independent player. (source)
- She admitted to being worried that consumers could become "jaded" by the amount of supposedly ethically produced clothing lines on the high street. (source)
- Why couldn't I have just become the hot kind of jaded where I'm all "oh, cynical, cynical, cynical" but then ... you know ... not really think that. (source)
- Cardiff City boss Dave Jones admitted his players looked 'jaded' after suffering a 3-0 pre-season defeat against Portimonese in the heat of Portugal. (source)
- I agree that she has a lot to learn but at the same time, she certainly isn't as "jaded" as a lot of the politicians that have held office for decades. (source)
- After 20 years of reporting and writing news stories, I was well acquainted with what many call a jaded perspective, or what I call a wised-up perspective. (source)
- I tell you what, since Chelsea is not so "jaded" in politics, she'll probably have a less divisive, militant career and end up going further than her mom did. (source)
- The west can be described as jaded and deadened to stimuli in comparison to the h/s/c cultures with respect to sexual imagery and erotically charged situations. (source)
- These clients have been there, done that and are extremely "jaded" in regard to luxury - they want the very best of the best as far as treatment, professionals, therapy, etc. (source)
- Of course in Season Three they're hinting that she's gone off on her own as a super vigilante, but I feel like we're supposed to view that dark haired Claire as "jaded" and "evil." (source)
- The England captaincy passed temporarily from "jaded" Andrew Strauss to untested Alastair Cook as contingency plans were formulated for the tours of United Arab Emirates and Bangladesh. (source)
- I thought of this as a sign of being 'jaded', but OGT boosted up my morale x9000 during one convo we had as he viewed this in the light of being "knowledgeable about my taste", rather than "jaded". (source)
- I guess I'm kind of jaded towards my view as a huge sci fi fanatic, but you're probably right that it won't bring in the numbers like TDK or Titanic did relying primarily on the torrent-wielding sci-fi dem. (source)
- In addition to the seedy atmosphere, double-crosses and surprise cameos (good work by Ralph Fiennes as a maniac who collects art), the film has the kind of jaded dialogue that doesn't mean anything but always sounds good. (source)
- I would have to conclude after reading your column for the first time, that your assuptions about "THE EARLY REPUBLIC'S," performance at the "House of Blues," were definitely viewed through "jaded" eyes, as you so aptly stated. (source)
- The church's elaborate interior is bursting with ostentatious chandeliers, tributes to Spanish rule the original conquistador in the Philippines, Miguel Legaspi, is buried here and the macabre relics will impress even a jaded tourist. (source)
- The reason we don't buy every marketing product is not just because we don't have the money for them, it's also because we may just be "jaded," not by the economy but by so many marketing experts trying to coach us and sell us their products. (source)
- Given that you referred to the other employees as "jaded" people who are "unhappy" and have a "lack of energy", and positioned yourself in an adversarial me-versus-them position where you "won't let them bring [you] down", it sounds like you may be closer to the second camp. (source)
- I was a big fan of books about polyamory while I was young -- Heinlein's The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress and Donald Kingsbury's Courtship Rite are two examples that spring to mind -- but as I get older and more realistic you might think "jaded" or "cynical" I see the crucial aspects of poly marriage that they don't explore. (source)
- At the same time, she bashes other popular stories like Gossip Girl ("these chippies could make a crack whore look like Clara Barton") and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants ("female empowerment as it's currently defined by the kind of jaded, 40-something divorcees who wash ashore at day spas with their grizzled girlfriends"). (source)
- Of course, I could just trust that it's all in safe hands, that these things are all part of the plan, and the TA will be better afterwards, and just keep stumm - because whenever someone has pointed out inconvenient facts, they are accused of being "jaded" or "chippy", and that the TA is better off without their presence or our constructive criticism. (source)
- Pak back to singing 'jaded' UN resolutions-for-K-settlement tune Tottenham's Defoe sharpens skills by watching footie greats on YouTube White House keeps suspense alive on Manmohan Singh's banquet details Kalyan Singh says he asked District Magistrate not to shoot on Karsewaks Barmaid dares Oz premier to take lie detector test to defy sex-scandal allegations (source)
- This was on the Thursday, and until his performance with Laurie Anderson on Friday night, I kept seeing him out of the corner of my eye, in and around the CCCB courtyard, heading his entourage, a study in 'jaded' and 'bored', causing a commotion with the crowds, at one stage roped off in an enclosure like a zoo exhibit, bored and expressionless, waiting while the fans lined up for his book signings and while rubberneckers like me watched him studying his fingernails. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 42 example sentences provided below is 56.0, which suggests that "jaded" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 24 synonyms for jaded.
been around, blah, bored, cool, done it all, dulled, fagged, fatigued, fed up, had it, mellow, sated, satiated, sick of, spent, surfeited, tired, tired-out, up to here, wearied, weary, worn, worn-down, worn-out
We have 3 antonyms for jaded.
activated, fresh, unused
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of jaded from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adjective) Worn out; wearied: "My father's words had left me jaded and depressed” ( William Styron).
- (adjective) Dulled by surfeit; sated: "the sickeningly sweet life of the amoral, jaded, bored upper classes” ( John Simon).
- (adjective) Cynically or pretentiously callous.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Worn out, wearied, exhausted or lacking enthusiasm, due to age or experience.
- (adjective) Made callous or cynically insensitive, by experience.
- (verb) Simple past tense and past participle of jade.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adjective) dulled by surfeit.
- (adjective) fatigued due to excess effort.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) exhausted
- (adjective) dulled by surfeit