Jauntily is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand jauntily (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use jauntily in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of jauntily, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of jauntily, followed by 35 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adverb) - in a jaunty fashionable manner
EXAMPLES - Jauntily in a Sentence
- Catching my eye, he grinned, beard tilted jauntily. (source)
- Maxwell ran and hopped jauntily down along the long cement patio. (source)
- See with what a smart, decisive air he wears his hat -- "jauntily," as (source)
- All we Babus talk English to show off; 'said Hurree, flinging his shoulder-cloth jauntily. (source)
- Ratz laughed, trudging along beside him, his pink manipulator swinging jauntily at his side. (source)
- On page four of the deed for his new apartment, Mr. Edelman inked his name jauntily on the ... (source)
- But just on nine Moran came out, in opera hat and lined cloak, swinging his long cane jauntily. (source)
- The anecdote, which he began to relate jauntily, trails off, as if it no longer seems very funny. (source)
- Contemplating the dog's jauntily-angled kerchief with its cheap silkscreening of Hillary's face, I began to tear up. (source)
- CHERYL CORLEY: Rod Blagojevich began the court date jauntily, shouting to reporters and spectators: Welcome to the trial. (source)
- Why do we have to send our troops to be killed just so OBAMA can look good jauntily running down the steps of air force one? (source)
- The drivers stood so jauntily by the side of their sledges, letting themselves be carried over the plain at a phenomenal pace. (source)
- I hear the apartment door slam shut, and the tinkle of the dog's tags as she jauntily prances to her water bowl and laps up her fill. (source)
- I shook my head, eyes watering from the blow, and the circlet settled into place, crucifix swinging jauntily between my naked breasts. (source)
- He felt light and clear-headed, and he stepped jauntily on, descending the steps towards the figure that was standing on the water's edge. (source)
- His was the gait of the wolf, smooth, tireless, and effortless, and at the end of fifty miles he would come in jauntily ahead of the horse. (source)
- That bragging badge of patriotism sits jauntily on jackets, hats and shirts today, boasting of the user's dedication to the democratic process. (source)
- Turcaill went back jauntily to the guardpost, in time to see the horseman rein in at the gate, and light down empty-handed to speak for himself. (source)
- Dennis Lerner didn't appear to notice it and Julius walked jauntily with them looking round with lively curiosity as if the place were new to him. (source)
- But unlike the jauntily fatalistic Huston, Brooks never developed an artistic personality of his own, and he had a hard-to-conceal didactic streak. (source)
- Clinton's lieutenants jauntily encapsulated his fight against Republican cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, education and the environment as a defense of M2E2. (source)
- A man climbs jauntily up into the wonderful variety of jagged, towering, fissured forms to test his vital energies, because he has never had to spend them. (source)
- Gosh, two communities that he can play off each other -- LLP's so happy that this morning he jauntily skimmed a krugerrand across the surface of Oswego Lake. (source)
- Buy the color that looks so promising on that round sticker so jauntily affixed to the top of your tube, and it's a sure bet that by the time I get home, you will perform like your evil twin. (source)
- There is, for example, a slightly disconcerting feel to seeing Luke Wright striding jauntily out to the middle at No6 in any circumstance other than one in which he can heave away agriculturally. (source)
- He tossed his head with pleasure and trotted jauntily up the rutted access to the downlands which spread for fifty miles east to west across central southern England - from the Chilterns to Salisbury Plain. (source)
- Any sophisticated dinner party in media circles in New York or Washington has journalists jauntily showing prospective employers their goods, or trading favors with each other, by disclosing classified information. (source)
- Chris Haig parked his car (for the last time) in the 'Officials only' car park and made his way jauntily towards the weighing-room (the centre of officialdom), scattering 'good mornings' to gatemen and arriving jockeys as he passed. (source)
- The dam was bursting now: Michael Clarke played jauntily but was drawn into a beautiful late outswinger by Mr. Anderson to complete a series in which he had made only one double-figure score in the first innings of each Test, and only one half-century. (source)
- In the narrow confines of the Pentagon's E-ring, though, Pace's portrait outshines those of such luminaries as Gen. Colin L. Powell, who leans jauntily on his desk, and Gen. Omar Bradley, the last five-star general and the first chairman of the Joint Chiefs. (source)
- Asked by a journalist via Twitter how he felt about traveling "cattle class" in light of his government's new austerity measures, Tharoor, ever a quick wit, jauntily tweeted back that he would happily fly "cattle class out of solidarity with all our holy cows!" (source)
- Bareilles proved to be more physical than such wispy ballads as "Kaleidoscope Heart" -- she banged out her first five numbers while standing -- and feistier than "Love Song," the breakout hit that jauntily scolds the record company execs who told her to write one. (source)
- U.S. House Minority Leader John Boehner of Ohio, asked by a reporter for The Hill why he spent so much time reading portions of the global warming "cap-and-trade" bill during floor debate, jauntily replied, "Hey, people deserve to know what's in this pile of s-- t." (source)
- Obama's clinical interpretation of his "disagreement" with Warren's hate-speech makes it sound as if he and the pastor are Ron Kirk and Hilda Solis, respectively the nominated US Trade Representative and Labor Secretary, jauntily sparring over free trade with Colombia. (source)
- Ian Smith, the former New Zealand wicketkeeper, titled his autobiography Just a Drummer in the Band, and by his analogy Matthew Prior's keeping, agile, focused and supremely relaxed, sounds like Ringo Starr jauntily riding the hi-hat and nailing the fills while Mahendra Singh Dhoni, jaded, diffident and his timing gone to cock, reverberates like a one-man band tumbling down a marble staircase. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 35 example sentences provided below is 55.0, which suggests that "jauntily" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 4 synonyms for jauntily.
briskly, cheerfully, gaily, happily
We have 0 antonyms for jauntily.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of jauntily from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adverb) In an airy, showy, or affected manner.
- (adverb) In a dapper or stylish manner.
- (adverb) In an ostentatiously self-confident manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adverb) In a jaunty manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Briskly; airily; gaily. Also spelled jantily.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adverb) in a jaunty fashionable manner