Keenly is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand keenly (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use keenly in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of keenly, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of keenly, followed by 38 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adverb) - in a keen and discriminating manner
EXAMPLES - Keenly in a Sentence
- And thus the earl gan to call keenly to his companions: (source)
- So, I am keenly aware of what that situation looks like. (source)
- The Founding Fathers were keenly, painfully aware of this. (source)
- We all die too soon, but some of us feel the pain more keenly. (source)
- From the start he appeared keenly interested in the Kirk Building. (source)
- As he paused before the director, that gentleman looked at him keenly. (source)
- He felt the absence of her heart beat as keenly as an ache in his chest. (source)
- But we do have to be keenly aware of the problems associated with our sources. (source)
- "Tell me" - Miss Morrow looked at her keenly - "had you ever met Sir Frederic Bruce?" (source)
- BHP Billiton rose 0.4%, and Rio Tinto added 0.2% ahead of its keenly awaited interim results. (source)
- Our sixth sense, or intuition, is keenly aware of when we are in balance with our surroundings. (source)
- We also know that Sir Frederic was keenly interested in the disappearance of Eve Durand from Peshawar. (source)
- This is the kind of keenly insightful political analysis that goes a very long way - very long, indeed! (source)
- She wondered what her father, implacably Protestant, would have said about this keenly awaited pleasure. (source)
- He has broad experience writing about many parts of the world, in keenly observant and idea-inflected prose. (source)
- Getting back to the Baja issue, I am keenly aware of the crackdown by Aduana looking for weapons and drug money. (source)
- I was a draftee, not a volunteer, but I keenly felt the ethical responsibility of lawyers to accept such appointments. (source)
- But as Tickell keenly observes, as an activist, you are faced with many setbacks of doubt, that your message is not getting out. (source)
- Neither of us scare easily but you don't survive those places without being keenly aware of what is happening in the here and now. (source)
- The three-wheeled Aptera car struggled with the test last week, so we were keenly interested to see how the Zap Alias would perform. (source)
- "This program was a mess," she told ABC Radio on Monday, adding she was "keenly" awaiting the report to see what lessons could be learnt. (source)
- WGAE members are keenly aware of the shifts in their industries - broadcast news, public television, comedy/variety, dramatic television, film, and so forth. (source)
- Our founders were keenly aware, from the lessons of Europe and the early American colonies, of the dangers posed by false prophets from within their own churches. (source)
- As they walked together he was intensely aware of her, noting the details of her physical presence as keenly as if she were a young and desirable woman and he on the verge of love. (source)
- The film's elegant settings and static tableau foster a stately air in which the camera attends to details in the drapery as keenly as it outlines the peculiar codes of class protocol. (source)
- The landmark judgement, keenly watched by corporate India, overturns the ruling of the Bombay High Court which last June had upheld the 2005 family agreement between the brothers as valid. (source)
- Ramrod straight of posture, unwaveringly principled and caring, keenly intelligent and elegant in speech, Dr. Mays was one of the most important people to me during my college years at Spelman. (source)
- Even if an official award did not exist, the managerial achievement of the season would still be a topic keenly discussed at every level of the game, precisely because the game has so many levels. (source)
- Aside from Obama and Sarkozy, Russia's Vladimir Putin, Germany's Angela Merkel and the United Kingdom's Gordon Brown are keenly interested in securing jobs for their nationals from the U.S. contracts. (source)
- His features were well shaped, his expression keenly intelligent, indomitably resolute, fearless, and somewhat haughty, and there was a certain hardness about the chiselling of his mouth that suggested cruelty. (source)
- We will have the chance to do both later this week, when 17-year-old Italian golfer Matteo Manassero makes his professional debut at the Italian Open, in Turin, in what is the most keenly awaited graduation from the amateur ranks in a generation. (source)
- Although the wind blew keenly from the north, the sky was blue, and the winter sun shone brightly on the gay colors of their holiday clothes, making the gold ornaments of the women, and the helmets and shields of the soldiers, glitter and sparkle. (source)
- No matter how famous or accomplished the recipients may be, they are always humbled by the honor, keenly aware of the sacrifices of those who have come before, and grateful for the opportunities that simply being an American affords them and their families. (source)
- "It's my sign, too," Helen Yarmak tosses casually as she slips into the elevator, as if these moments of awareness occur frequently with her, as if the furs and jewelry truly do project a sensibility she is keenly aware of as she dreams up future collections. (source)
- I am keenly aware that ISAF military operations have at times impacted the Afghan people in unwelcome ways, from minor, but grating inconveniences to, in some rare but tragic cases, civilians accidentally killed or injured -- losses we mourn and profoundly regret, he said. (source)
- Since Barack Obama won the presidency in November, Washington political types have speculated about a potential face-off between the mild-mannered Mr. Bernanke and Mr. Summers, who is routinely described as keenly aware of his own brilliance -- in a parlor game occasionally stoked by the men. (source)
- Such a state of things may be provoking and discouraging at the time, in the case of two classes of persons; of moderate men who wish to make differences in religious opinion as little as they fairly can be made; and of such as keenly perceive, and are honestly eager to remedy, existing evils -- evils, of which divines in this or that foreign country know nothing at all, and which even at home it is not every one who has the means of estimating. (source)
- Such a state of things may be provoking and discouraging at the time, in the case of two classes of persons; of moderate men who wish to make differences in religious opinion as little as they fairly can be made; and of such as keenly perceive, and are honestly eager to remedy, existing evils, -- evils, of which divines in this or that foreign country know nothing at all, and which even at home, where they exist, it is not every one who has the means of estimating. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 38 example sentences provided below is 53.0, which suggests that "keenly" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 43 synonyms for keenly.
actively, angrily, animatedly, boisterously, briskly, brutally, cruelly, earnestly, energetically, ferociously, fiercely, forcibly, frantically, furiously, heavily, intensely, like fury, madly, meanly, painfully, powerfully, relentlessly, rigorously, roughly, rowdily, savagely, seriously, severely, sharply, spiritedly, sprightly, stormily, strongly, tumultously/tumultuously, turbulently, uproariously, urgently, viciously, vigorously, violently, vivaciously, wildly, with all one's might
We have 10 antonyms for keenly.
easily, gently, indulgently, lightly, moderately, softly, tolerantly, unenthusiastically, unfixedly, yielding
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of keenly from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adverb) In a keen manner.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adverb) In a keen manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) In a keen manner; eagerly; sharply; with keenness or intensity; acutely.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adverb) in a keen and discriminating manner