Kerfuffle is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand kerfuffle (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use kerfuffle in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of kerfuffle, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of kerfuffle, followed by 43 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - a disorderly outburst or tumult
EXAMPLES - Kerfuffle in a Sentence
- The whole Limbaugh kerfuffle makes both parties look silly. (source)
- But, look, it has been a giant kerfuffle since the beginning. (source)
- (Yeah, I said "kerfuffle" because that's about all it deserves. (source)
- I don't think any of this kerfuffle had anything to do with Newt Gingrich. (source)
- A correction: The word kerfuffle actually is Scottish, not German, in origin. (source)
- The euro fell below $1.34 as it took the brunt of the latest Greek debt kerfuffle. (source)
- The reaction from Henry County officials to the Will Vehrs kerfuffle is ridiculous. (source)
- Councillor Kyle Rae says he's not surprised by the move given the "kerfuffle" with the (source)
- The newspaper took aim at the "kerfuffle" in the British media over the affair, saying: (source)
- Lost in the kerfuffle was my birthday, which fell just three days after my daughter was born. (source)
- I mean what do you think of this whole kerfuffle with the fence and McCain flipping like this? (source)
- Axelrod applauds the use of the word "kerfuffle," saying "it's good to hear that word back in the mix." (source)
- Anyway, then there was some kind of kerfuffle in the Corfu yacht club involving my favourite shadow chancellor. (source)
- My mate Steve the plumber dared me to get the word "kerfuffle" into my analysis, which I thought was very funny. (source)
- Lost in the discussion over the New York Times/SWIFT kerfuffle is the history of the Times and national security. (source)
- Or they could have shot the bear dead and ended the kerfuffle, which is what they did, and what they were forced to do. (source)
- In all the kerfuffle and reams of talk and words about the financial mess we are living, the ethics of it all are easily submerged. (source)
- Kevin Durant and Lakers coach Phil Jackson find themselves in a kerfuffle just days before their teams square off in the NBA Playoffs. (source)
- This has given rise to a rather amusing identity-politics kerfuffle in Fremont, Calif., a Silicon Valley suburb, as the Oakland Tribune reports: (source)
- "Trying to get newsworthy people to say interesting things is part of what we do," was how, in the wake of the Cheney kerfuffle, Harris explained (source)
- Oh, and this isn't a big deal, just a "kerfuffle" -- you know, a lot less important than Nancy Pelosi's web page having a picture of a Canadian soldier. (source)
- Control Council to no longer recommend nevirapine on its own as a treatment for HIV/AIDS, as a "kerfuffle" saying it was the latest in a series of confusions. (source)
- There is an ethnic angle to this kerfuffle: The priest is Greek Orthodox, Giannoulias and the student are both Greek-American, and Katehi is a native of Greece. (source)
- She had had a kerfuffle with an investor she preferred not to name (though she did provide The Observer with his cell-phone number, calls to which were not returned). (source)
- The kerfuffle is leaving me cold, I'll admit: I'm a small-r republican, and would like us to shed the last of our feudal, imperial shackles, lightly-worn though they be. (source)
- How could it be, that this glorious being should have some kind of kerfuffle with his equally perfect wife, and then drive his equally perfect car into a hydrant and a tree? (source)
- The young Detroit Tigers pitcher has been nothing but calm, cool and classy in the kerfuffle, giving us all a lesson in how to handle oneself while in the eye of a controversy. (source)
- So I think the Stone Age kerfuffle is worth pushing on, especially since some of the "crucial information" that you identified rubs up against Nagin's need to be more transparent. (source)
- kerfuffle (I love the word kerfuffle) by publishing it in a distinctly non-social way and by running an event which failed to connect with many of the assembled social-media-savvy digerati. (source)
- Way up there Steve Sailer said that this kerfuffle is made for a lot of whites to engage in moral preening about wonderfully sophisticately sensitive they are compared to other whites, who are so deplorable. (source)
- Update: Btw, the politically important feature of this kerfuffle is McCain's confusion -- not knowing how many houses he owns -- rather than the fact that he is rich (by virtue of his wife's inherited wealth). (source)
- In Pakistan, a country where political comebacks are common, it will probably take way more than a kerfuffle over the veracity of degrees to keep legislators out for long, especially since the old law doesn't apply anymore. (source)
- Schumer said the "kerfuffle" during Biden's visit to Israel over Israeli construction in East Jerusalem "should never have been an issue to begin with" because it was in Israeli territory and only 5 minutes from downtown Jerusalem. (source)
- To kerfuffle everyone he engages until the discourse has become so confused, skewed and tangential that he's able to walk away more or less unscathed while the targets of his regularly scheduled crusades are often damaged beyond repair. (source)
- Striking a similar tone, the editor of Elite Traveler, an in-flight magazine for private jets, caused a bit of a kerfuffle recently when he wrote that the rich should feel no guilt in flying their private jets and spending lavishly on parties. (source)
- The Associated Press has decided that the only way to deal with the kerfuffle over Brian Cushing's Defensive Rookie of the Year Award and four-game suspension for testing positive for a fertility drug on the NFL's banned-substance list is to re-vote. (source)
- Pressing engagementThere was a kerfuffle yesterday morning when an AOL. com hack tried to pick up his accreditation, and was told by the Wimbledon press office that websites are not granted the magic passes that allow access to the tennis and players. (source)
- PBS chief Paula Kerger told TV critics Wednesday she did not regret airing "Turmoil & Triumph: The George Shultz Years" and the kerfuffle that arose over its funding does not highlight the difficulties PBS faces as it trolls non-stop for funding in a lousy economy. (source)
- PBS chief Paula Kerger told TV critics she did not regret airing "Turmoil & Triumph: The George Shultz Years," and she said the kerfuffle that arose over its funding does not highlight the difficulties that PBS faces as it incessantly trolls for money in a lousy economy. (source)
- Yet consider what this means: Until the New York Post kerfuffle has blown over, every editor, writer and cartoonist in America will be hypervigilant about images or descriptions of lower primates, seeing racial connections that never would have occurred to them (or anyone else) before. (source)
- So this whole kerfuffle from the righties about compromising intelligence is yet another steaming pile, and what should really worry the country is that the people who claim to be the party of less government interference and the rule of law can so blithely ignore it when it suits their political agenda. (source)
- Somehow, the higher minds at Rolling Stone figured it would be a great idea for the story to break and for the repercussions to be felt -- McChrystal, we'll remind you, will have had it out with President Barack Obama before the magazine hits the street -- before anyone got to actually find out more about the whole kerfuffle. (source)
- Meanwhile, the welter of attacks and dissatisfactions increases daily, along with the all-too real disasters and the teacup tempests, despite the fact that many of them soon prove to be utterly without foundation in reality or truth -- as in the latest Fox News-generated kerfuffle around Shirley Sherrod at the Department of Agriculture. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 43 example sentences provided below is 55.0, which suggests that "kerfuffle" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 15 synonyms for kerfuffle.
brouhaha, chaos, commotion, convulsion, disorder, disruption, disturbance, fiasco, fracas, melee, row, splash, tumult, unrest, upheaval
We have 4 antonyms for kerfuffle.
calm, order, peacefulness, tranquility
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of kerfuffle from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) A disorderly outburst, disturbance, commotion or tumult.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) a disorderly outburst or tumult