Kleptomaniac is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand kleptomaniac (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use kleptomaniac in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of kleptomaniac, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of kleptomaniac, followed by 34 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - someone with an irrational urge to steal in the absence of an economic motive
EXAMPLES - Kleptomaniac in a Sentence
- But there was no attempt to prove that she was a kleptomaniac. (source)
- KING: Now, the kleptomaniac, if that's the correct term, does this, why? (source)
- Here was a little kleptomaniac whose weakness the mother was struggling to hide. (source)
- But now the culprit has been unmasked as a kleptomaniac cat with a generous nature. (source)
- Usually the kleptomaniac is a woman, with an insane desire to steal for the mere sake of stealing. (source)
- He's a therapist and author of the book "Something for Nothing" and a recovering kleptomaniac himself. (source)
- She might be a kleptomaniac, where she ` s doing it not for money, not for anything other than a thrill. (source)
- That also he knew, but as a kleptomaniac knows, without profiting by the knowledge, that it is wrong to steal. (source)
- Psychotic greedy kleptomaniac is a better description for republican politicians and their reichwing zombie army. (source)
- Leastwise 'kleptomaniac' is what Colonel Sterett calls it when he's tellin 'me of a party who's afflicted sim'lar. (source)
- As most kleptomaniac politicians are also psychopaths, they rarely feel remorse or fear the consequences of their misdeeds. (source)
- Is it more of a problem, do you think, when the person who is a kleptomaniac sees her picture in the paper or on television? (source)
- Tonight, the secret life of a kleptomaniac, a suburban housewife compelled to steal, part of our special series, Family Secrets. (source)
- HAMMER: Also making the naughty list, Lindsay Lohan, the Grinch, Darth Vader, the kleptomaniac Fox, Swiper, from Dora the Explorer. (source)
- He is quite mad, and a much more obvious public pest than any other kind of kleptomaniac; but though he is a cheat, he is not an illusion. (source)
- He tosses in a slapstick character, a drug-addict kleptomaniac nurse who is the father's lover, and a treasure hunt for coins in the backyard. (source)
- That being said, I listened to a walkman (tape player all the way, baby) in 8th grade until this kleptomaniac dickhead named Chris Porter stole it. (source)
- It also reminds us that all families are dysfunctional, from the female lead's mother who drinks in the morning to the kleptomaniac who steals her purse. (source)
- Today I almost had to wear one black shoe and one brown one, because the kleptomaniac we lovingly refer to around here as "the baby", steals one shoe only. (source)
- I thought he was better than this, but I do wonder if his frinds are influencing him because he wasn't like this untill he met his one friend dj who is a kleptomaniac. (source)
- The word kleptomaniac has appeared in three New York Times articles in the past year, including on April 3 in "The Workout Begins When Pants Go Missing" by Dan Bilefsky: (source)
- Also on Tuesday, Health Minister Manto Tshabalala-Msimang said she was waiting for the right moment to speak about media claims that she was an alcoholic and a kleptomaniac. (source)
- This is very frequently the case with that class of shop-lifters called, by courtesy, the "kleptomaniac," -- the wealthy lady who steals what she could easily have purchased. (source)
- Directed by Hal Ashby Shampoo, Harold and Maude, the film tells the simple story of two Navy officers who are assigned to escort a young kleptomaniac sailor to the naval brig in Boston. (source)
- This film also takes his true love - a girl from Queens named Naomi - and transforms her from the kleptomaniac Liza Minnelli played in the original film into a would-be children's author. (source)
- My career as a budding kleptomaniac began by watching Lee Artist slip china in her purse during dinner in the restaurant at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel on Miami Beach, an innocent action, really. (source)
- The youngest of them Ian (born Igor) had rummaged in garbage dumps in Ukraine for toys, with hubcaps and discarded car parts his only possessions ... home in Nebraska he soon became a wild, uncontrollable kleptomaniac. (source)
- In handling those thefts which were formerly called kleptomaniac, and which, in spite of the refusal to use this term, are undeniable, it is customary, if they recur repeatedly, to see whether pregnancy is not the cause. (source)
- How about a whole shitload of people's stuff being stolen by a kleptomaniac attendee (who we somehow couldn't identify even though there were maybe a hundred people there, 20 of them being staff of some kind), and not just videos? (source)
- Hugh, do you think the poor chap might be what they call a kleptomaniac; that is a person who has an irresistible inclination to take things that don't belong to him, or her, and generally has no use for them after stealing the same? (source)
- Set in the music industry, "Goon Squad" follows a middle-aged record executive named Bennie Salazar, his kleptomaniac assistant, Sasha, and a dozen or more overlapping characters whose lives are altered by the forces of time and technology. (source)
- I don't know Winona Ryder, and I would assume -- I don't know, nor do I know whether this is libelous or not, but I would assume that she's a sick person, probably a kleptomaniac, and was -- some impulse that we don't understand that drove her to do it. (source)
- BRYANT: Well, nothing really more than what you've just suggested, except that now three people have testified consistently that she made a statement that she was, in fact, getting into the role, getting into character as a kleptomaniac, as a shoplifter, and, in fact, admitting at one point she wasn't very good at it. (source)
- That probably explains why my mother is fast becoming a B-movie queen, with costar turns as John Wayne Gacy's mother in a biopic about the serial killer and as a kleptomaniac in a nursing home haunted by an Egyptian mummy in "Bubba Ho-Tep" (sure, she gets killed by a flesh-eating scarab; I'm just happy the nursing home isn't real). (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 34 example sentences provided below is 55.0, which suggests that "kleptomaniac" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 4 synonyms for kleptomaniac.
criminal, pilferer, shoplifter, thief
We have 0 antonyms for kleptomaniac.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of kleptomaniac from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) One who steals compulsively.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) A person affected with kleptomania.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) someone with an irrational urge to steal in the absence of an economic motive