Known is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand known (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use known in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of known, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of known, followed by 39 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - apprehended with certainty
EXAMPLES - Known in a Sentence
- "Globalization was not a term known in 1992," Desai noted. (source)
- It is our title known and understood to present peace and future glory. (source)
- The FBI has about 50,000 prints from what they call known or suspected terrorists. (source)
- There is another name known as YHVH that refers to God in His fully transcendent state. (source)
- Thus _doi_, "a wooden spoon," becomes in gypsy _roi_, a term known to every tinker in London. (source)
- "Ah, yes!" replied Mabel, "I have known _about_ them, as you say, but I have never _known_ them. (source)
- At best, the label known unknowns may be apt, but definitely NOT unknown unknowns or Black Swans! (source)
- This week we'll be playing Infinity Ward's infamous title known as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. (source)
- He said his squad worked undercover and targeted what he called known ANC troublemakers in the area. (source)
- About three years ago, Florsheim tapped Duckie Brown, a label known for using bold colors, to create a line. (source)
- "Can you give me a condensed report on what is known -- and I mean _known_ -- on telepathy and teleportation?" (source)
- "He had known woman," Maytera Mint explained, hoping that Spider would understand what she intended by _known_. (source)
- It wasn't long after that that they attracted notice from Epitaph Records, a label known for its alternative chic. (source)
- Ms. Colonna says: It's a huge struggle to get your name known in emerging markets if you're not one of the 'magic brands'. (source)
- At this point in 2010, the term known as the 'iGeneration' was coined flippantly and without care given to what it referred to. (source)
- Cacharel for example has always, at its root, been a label known for its imaginative prints in great cottons and high quality fabrics. (source)
- Come next week, Microsoft will start tackling what it referred to as the known and potentially dangerous activation exploits for Windows (source)
- In the book, I talk about how important this - it's a term known as "eudaimonia," which is a state of fulfilling your authentic happiness. (source)
- For his part, Humphrey was eager to get his name known around the state, and I knew he would come to Fairmont if I could raise a big crowd. (source)
- Mr. Rubin originally wanted to put out hip hop through 99 Records, a label known for esoteric No Wave acts like Glenn Branca and Liquid Liquid. (source)
- The label known for ultra-sexy body hugging designs showed short tight dresses, taut gowns and barely there swimwear in the distinctive 'bandage' style. (source)
- According to Forrester Research of Cambridge, Mass., 88% of online shoppers that begin a transaction don't complete it, a term known as "shopping cart abandonment." (source)
- If knowledge is never complete, it is always _completing_; if reality is never known, it is ever _being known_; if the ideal is never actual, it is always _being actualized_. (source)
- There is a term known as 'peak experience' which describes periods in a person's life when everything comes together and they are living and operating at their maximum potential. (source)
- A couple years back, Nashville's De Novo Dahl were signed to Roadrunner - a label known mostly for metal and active-rock acts like Slipknot, Nickelback and Evanuisance - and the record that followed, (source)
- It's an album of acoustic improvisations, released by a label known primarily for electronica - and produced by a man behind both a popular indie-rock band and an acclaimed classical chamber ensemble. (source)
- In the sense of the term known to fashionable London, he was not a good-looking man, but as he stood there, waiting gravely while I took my pinch, he had the irresistible charm of the highest manliness. (source)
- "The idea of who has style is the most democratic it's ever been and that's why the muse is more democratic," says Amanda Brooks, who worked with Tuleh, a label known for its feminine vintage-inspired pieces. (source)
- Officials say the U.S. has in custody what they call a known terrorist with al Qaeda connections who -- in custody, was supposedly planning to build and explode a radioactive dirty bomb here in the United States. (source)
- In the field of medicine and pharmaceuticals there is a term known as Disease Mongering - the medicalizing of normal conditions into "diseases" for what many scientists agree are questionable motives by the pharmaceutical companies. (source)
- At the showroom of Brunello Cucinelli, a label known for its expensive cashmere with unusual details, Ms. Goldberger and her team ate lunch while six models struck poses in fur vests, cashmere sweaters, down jackets and riding boots. (source)
- "And it's a real case of quality and quantity - with Fragile Dreams (the title known as 'Fragile' in Japan), Half-Minute Hero and our first PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 titles, it'll be a brilliant start to what will be our best year ever." (source)
- The reason for the block is not known (and may never be known*), and I am not the only blogger in China who is sad (and angry) that the Chinese government feel the need to protect their citizens from diverse opinions and cultural-exchange in the name of "political stability." (source)
- Released by Light In The Attic Records, a label known for innovative reissues and care of historic recordings, the label worked with Kristofferson's blessing over the past five years to compile the 16-song collection of unreleased material after it was discovered in Nashville. (source)
- Pale-faced models walked one-by-one through a stage door onto a dimly lit runway in black coats, black jackets, black trousers, black gloves and classic black laced shoes during the presentation of Belgian designer Raf Simons, latest collection for the label known for its minimalist style. (source)
- The combination of the new look and signing to a label known for outre acts made some wonder if the wonderfully strange underground darling, stamped by everyone from G-Unit's Tony Yayo to lyrical genius and fellow Detroit MC Elzhi, was moving too far outside of some arbitrary definition of hip-hop. (source)
- We should have _known_ the characters as they were known to the patrician and the populace of two thousand years ago; we should have seen them as they threw out all their stately and muscular strength; we should have been able to recover them from the tomb, make them move before us "in their armour, as they lived," and gather from their lips the language of times and things, now past away from man. (source)
- We lay it down as a truth that can be made no plainer by reasoning, that the same 'public opinion,' which restrains men from _committing_ outrages, will restrain them from _publishing_ such outrages, if they do commit them; -- in other words, if a man is restrained from certain acts through fear of losing his character, should they become known, he will not voluntarily destroy his character by _making them known_, should he be guilty of them. (source)
- Those of the first class, well known as the insignia of certain eminent personages and powerful houses, were borne by all the followers, retainers, dependants, and partisans of those personages and houses: and they were so borne by them, and they were used by their owners for every variety of decorative purpose, because they were _known and understood_; and, consequently, because the presence of these Badges would cause all persons and objects bearing them to be readily and certainly distinguished. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 39 example sentences provided below is 53.0, which suggests that "known" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 24 synonyms for known.
accepted, acknowledged, admitted, avowed, celebrated, certified, common, confessed, conscious, down pat, established, familiar, hackneyed, manifest, noted, notorious, obvious, patent, plain, proverbial, published, received, recognized, well-known
We have 9 antonyms for known.
ambiguous, concealed, hidden, obscure, unclear, uncommon, unfamiliar, unknown, vague
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of known from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (verb) Past participle of know.
- (adjective) Proved or generally recognized: the only known case; a known authority.
- (noun) Something that is known: In this instance, the only known is our actual profit margin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Someone or something that many people know about, renowned, famous.
- (verb) Past participle of know
- (noun) In algebra, a variable or constant whose value is already determined.
- (noun) Any fact or situation which is well-researched or familiar.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (past-participle) of know.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Perceived; understood; recognized; familiar; especially, when used absolutely, familiar to all; generally understood or perceived.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) apprehended with certainty