Needs is a slightly difficult word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand needs (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use needs in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of needs, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of needs, followed by 40 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adverb) - in such a manner as could not be otherwise
EXAMPLES - Needs in a Sentence
- I think the title needs to be changed from Passerby. (source)
- So maybe the term needs to be "offshoring" rather than (source)
- The title needs to rhyme with the title of her other CDs .... (source)
- The title needs to read "Rumors of god are greatly exaggerated." (source)
- The last thing John McCain needs is advice from Puppetmaster Rove. (source)
- There's nothing wrong with the topic, but the title needs changing. (source)
- Your title needs to both summarize your Big Idea and introduce a new term. (source)
- - In some cases the label needs to inform the buyer about storing the food. (source)
- To start with, the title needs to make it clear, that this is a book review. (source)
- This phrasing should appear anywhere on the form where your name needs to be listed. (source)
- I think the term needs rebranding so that it doesn't have that tinge of moral superiority. (source)
- Meanwhile, the title needs to have the broad set of Kindle features such as text-to-speech. (source)
- The title needs to arrest attention and putting Google into the title will certainly achieve that. (source)
- Personally, any smartphone with a decent browser is a MID in my book, so I think the term needs to go away. (source)
- The label needs not to be contradicted by a mind that validly cognizes the superficial truth of the phenomenon. (source)
- The title needs a computer to interpret it, but we guess they were working out how to get to the acronym SyNAPSE. (source)
- So I take it that people are telling me that the title needs not a colonoscopy, but a colonectomy ... or is it me? (source)
- However, I feel that the term needs to be changed especially after it is so obvious we are no longer in the minority. (source)
- Winning the title needs consistency and belief and at the moment it doesn't look like we believe we will win the title. (source)
- The title needs to be editable, but it would be suboptimal to show it as a TextBox (since it is not changed frequently). (source)
- It's not like there's any other information that the label needs to convey other than "this side is Blu-ray, that side is DVD." (source)
- Readers pick up genre books because they want the writer to meet certain needs and one of those needs is originality of concept. (source)
- The title needs to be rewritten, but must still describe the theme of the articles in as engaging or interesting way as possible. (source)
- Someone from the label needs to pull a finger out their arse and get the 5-track (thats only available on the official site) put out! (source)
- They have requested a lilac background color and the title needs to be a simple gif animation which gives the effect of fading or sparkling. (source)
- Consequently, the title needs to communicate keywords and relevance for ranking to help ensure the page is indexed properly in the first place. (source)
- He's even a little analytical about it, about how the term needs to be dressed up the correct way in order not to sound like a psychotic person: (source)
- I am leaning towards hoping they do an artist change before too long, though, for an underworld spy thriller, this title needs a different style. (source)
- A label needs to take risks on bands it believes in but at the same time, each release has to be successful, albeit not always in a financial sense. (source)
- I'm in Brooklyn, have been down to Occupy Wall Street quite a few times and the word needs to get out those who are not here to witness this in person. (source)
- But not just anyone could be this fellow's "goddess" his term needs to have many spiritual attributes to meet the qualifications set down by God Himself. (source)
- While admitting that the issue of human rights violation by security forces needs to be addressed, Omar Abdullah said that the term needs to be properly defined. (source)
- The problem is that the many 'anti-Semites' these days are Semites themselves, so the term needs to be more precise in its reference to the Jewish people: "Judeophobia"? (source)
- Well, now web content management firm Interwoven has added to the clamour, as vice president of Emea, James Murray, told me the other day that the term needs to be "exploded". (source)
- We know what it takes to develop a Game of the Year title, and we also know that the title needs the support of a strong publisher to make the game a success, "said Glen A. Schofield. (source)
- Over all I agree that it looks good Foz but I think that the title needs to be clearer and the Red on black of your name and some of the other text lacks contrast and risks being hard to read. (source)
- Ideally the program would support multiple actors and I think it would be quite handy to let the program play through the film and just hit a key whenever a new title needs to start for the first pass. (source)
- The ball needs to be a pointer (remember: REVERSED POINTER), and the title needs to be changed to something less obvious than "Not a flash game" such as (random work-related title). doc and you have a winner. (source)
- What Wisconsin needs is a good Kenosha liberal, whose dad worked in the long defunct AMC plant on the shore of Lake Michigan, to step up, show some balls, and point out that Paul Ryan wants you to work until the day you die. (source)
- Being conscious of this vast disparity between our experiences, I'm appalled the word feminism has been denigrated to a place of almost ridicule and I very passionately believe the word needs to be revalued and reintroduced with power and understanding that this is a global picture. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 40 example sentences provided below is 67.0, which suggests that "needs" is a standard word that is understood by individuals with a high school diploma or degree, and can be found in news articles, books, magazines and other places.
We have 23 synonyms for needs.
charge, commitment, committal, compulsion, demand, desideratum, devoir, duty, essential, exigency, extremity, longing, must, obligation, occasion, ought, requisite, right, the urge, urgency, use, weakness, wish
We have 8 antonyms for needs.
comfort, fortune, have, luxury, nonessential, plenty, riches, wealth
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of needs from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adverb) Of necessity; necessarily: We must needs go.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adverb) Of necessity; necessarily; indispensably; often with must, and equivalent to "of need".
- (noun) Plural form of need.
- (verb) Third-person singular simple present indicative form of need.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adverb) Of necessity; necessarily; indispensably; -- often with must, and equivalent to of need.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Of necessity; necessarily; unavoidably: generally used with must.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adverb) in such a manner as could not be otherwise