Obtain is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand obtain (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use obtain in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of obtain, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of obtain, followed by 44 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(verb) - receive a specified treatment (abstract)
EXAMPLES - Obtain in a Sentence
- Many figures were obtain from the Norton Online Living Report by Symantec. (source)
- On many occasions literary titles obtain precedence over titles of nobility. (source)
- He obtained the ransom, and desired also to obtain from the Portuguese Viceroy in (source)
- And the very things which the Jews speak of the Hebrew word obtain also in the Greek. (source)
- Thus in 1098 he was able to obtain from the German nobles the deposition of his rebellious son (source)
- Count Josef evidently went zealously to work to obtain from the Russian Government Menko's release. (source)
- I have all kinds of information on him that I have been able to obtain from the various sites on my computer. (source)
- A good book for you to obtain is "Adventure Guide to the Yuacatan, Cancun & Cozumel", by Bruce and Jane Concord. (source)
- The legate held several synods to obtain from the French clergy the tithes granted by the pope for the expedition. (source)
- Blitzed in London and out of print in New York it is now hard to obtain, which is a pity as it is full of good things. (source)
- 24,500 Negroes in seven years nearly all of whom they expected to obtain from the Dutch at that "cursed little barren island" of (source)
- Nick are you an idiot or a college student with a life that daddy pays for? if you add FL and MI the number to obtain is 2210 not 2026. (source)
- He seems not to accept "authority" in any terms other than those that might obtain from a guarantee of preservation from all error by the Spirit. (source)
- Details were difficult to obtain from the Japanese side on the plans for such a meeting, said a foreign diplomat in Tokyo, who spoke on condition of anonymity. (source)
- I mean that what we can obtain from the Greeks only begins to dawn upon us in later years: only after we have undergone many experiences, and thought a great deal. (source)
- This class of barrel is the best choice for a hunting rifle because any gain in accuracy you'd obtain from a more expensive barrel would go unrealized in the field. (source)
- His ideas suddenly reverted to the paragraph describing the efforts of the Porte to obtain from the French Government the extradition of a fugitive relative of the Sultan. (source)
- This is how Lane evokes 'American national interest,' this magic, self-sufficient concept that justifies the use of any means in order to obtain, that is, impose the desired objective. (source)
- There is an Official Guide to Driving a Car In Mexico published by the Sectretaria of Turismo that you can obtain from the Mexican Government Tourism Office in all major cities in the US and Canada. (source)
- You find yourself bombarded with text book information (that you could just as well obtain from a library) at a predetermined rate, without consideration about if the child is ready/willing to learn it. (source)
- The central & north European pies I tasted were on par with what one might obtain from a day old Chuck-E-Cheese slice, after it has been carefully aged on the floor of a truck stop bathroom in Gaffney, SC. (source)
- To send money by debit card, the sender must have a US bank account and must obtain from the bank at least two debit cards, one for the sender's personal use in the US and one for the use of the recipient in Mexico. (source)
- There is a sort of energy in attempting to obtain, that is not to be found in those who are only exerting themselves to keep, of which it is difficult to explain the cause, but of which the existence is very certain. (source)
- Recently, the Association of the Bar of the City of New York (ABCNY) posted an Ethics Opinion commenting on the developing issue of what lawyers may properly obtain from the Internet concerning clients or adversaries. (source)
- For the Treaty of Limerick (1691) gave the Catholics "such privileges as they enjoyed in the reign of Charles II"; and William was to obtain from the Irish Parliament a further relaxation of the penal laws in existence. (source)
- So if it was an email sent from one staffer to another staffer complaining about how unfair the treatment Clinton gets by comparison in the media, how did Drudge "obtain" it if it wasn't forwarded by one of the two staffers? (source)
- The object of the deputation was to obtain from the French King a promise to pass through the Grecian territories in a peaceable and friendly manner, and to yield to the Greek Emperor any conquest he might make in Asia Minor. (source)
- Whereas you have nobody's secret to guard but your own, in saying whether or not you ever knew a Madame or Mademoiselle Duval; and if you have some reason for not getting me the information I am instructed to obtain, that is also (source)
- We attended to the established regulation, of course, and now, having fixed the hour of our departure, endeavoured to obtain from the Hungarian chancery the license, without which it would have been impossible to pass the frontier. (source)
- Drake planned his voyage largely in pursuit of his revenge upon Spain, partly for the plunder which he hoped to obtain from the Spanish towns and vessels along the Pacific coast of America, and partly because of his desire to explore the Pacific Ocean. (source)
- You can now also try out our brand new English to Hindi translation service, and the translated search feature that lets you query in Hindi, obtain search results for the translated query in English, and then see the Hindi translations of these results. (source)
- Although her father's title was not restored, she had sufficient interest, in 1721, to obtain from the English Government a lease of the forfeited estates for fifty-nine years, at the rent of eight hundred and seventy-two pounds, twelve shillings per annum. [ (source)
- Whereas you have nobody's secret to guard but your own, in saying whether or not you ever knew a Madame or Mademoiselle Duval; and if you have some reason for not getting me the information I am instructed to obtain, that is also a reason for not troubling you further. (source)
- But also, as previously mentioned, what most people really obtain is not so much insurance (characterized by infrequent events and high payouts) but rather a product called insurance that really functions as insulation or consumption smoothing (characterized by frequent events and low pay outs). (source)
- It seems that they have no other object in our education than that of fitting us for love, indeed, it is the only passion permitted us, and by a strange and cruel contrariety, they have left us only one glory to obtain, which is that of gaining a victory over the very inclination imposed upon us. (source)
- Her charity for her neighbor made her grieve bitterly that there should be so many sinful men in danger of eternal death; and by constant prayer, together with voluntary sufferings, she strove to obtain from the divine mercy that they might return to the path of salvation, with the help of divine grace. (source)
- Bolingbroke was his friend, Walpole was not his enemy, but treated him with so much consideration as, at his request, to solicit and obtain from the French Minister an abbey for Mr. Southcot, whom he considered himself as obliged to reward, by his exertion of his interest, for the benefit which he had received from his attendance in a long illness. (source)
- Though Bolingbroke was his friend, Walpole was not his enemy, but treated him with so much consideration as, at his request, to solicit and obtain from the French Minister an abbey for Mr. Southcot, whom he considered himself as obliged to reward, by his exertion of his interest, for the benefit which he had received from his attendance in a long illness. (source)
- Though Bolingbroke was his friend, Walpole was not his enemy; but treated him with so much consideration as, at his request, to solicit and obtain from the French minister an abbey for Mr. Southcot, whom he considered himself as obliged to reward, by this exertion of his interest, for the benefit which he had received from his attendance in a long illness. (source)
- If my readers will obtain from the Southworth Library, or elsewhere, "Lossing's Field Book of the War of 1812," a large and interesting volume, devoted to the description and illustrating the leading events of this war, they will find that the perusal of it will well repay their effort and enable them to repel to some extent at least the charge that Americans are woefully ignorant of their own history. (source)
- Of course this matter of testimony will settle itself with time, and a negro's word obtain the same credit from his individual character as among whites, for the whites, having cases that they are dependent upon negro testimony for, will in the course of time be brought by their own interests to take and demand the full benefit of the law; but for some time, although legally admitted, it will in fact be excluded. (source)
- Finally, if the FBI Director were to attempt to use an open-ended NSL for a fishing expedition to obtain from a service provider a vast swath of phone records of multitudes of persons, that might well raise serious Fourth Amendment questions in its own right, because even subpoenas must be sufficiently limited in scope, relevant in purpose, and specific in directive so that compliance will not be unreasonably burdensome. (source)
- He has, acting personally and through his subordinates and agents, endeavoured to obtain from the Internal Revenue Service, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, confidential information contained in income tax returns for purposed not authorized by law, and to cause, in violation of the constitutional rights of citizens, income tax audits or other income tax investigations to be intitiated or conducted in a discriminatory manner. (source)
- And for good men we have to pray, and this for a threefold reason: firstly, because the prayers of many are more easily heard; thus on the words: _I beseech ye therefore, help me in your prayers for me_,  the Ordinary Gloss of S. Ambrose says: "Well does the Apostle ask his inferiors to pray for him; for even the very least become great when many in number, and when gathered together with one mind; and it is impossible that the prayers of many should not avail" to obtain, that is, what is obtainable. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 44 example sentences provided below is 45.0, which suggests that "obtain" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 54 synonyms for obtain.
access, accomplish, achieve, annex, attain, beg borrow or steal, capture, chalk up, collect, come by, compass, cop, corral, drum up, earn, effect, fetch, gain, gather, get at, get hold of, get one's hands on, glean, gobble up, grab, have, hoard, inherit, invade, lay up, make use of, nab, occupy, pick up, pocket, procure, purchase, reach, realize, reap, receive, recover, retrieve, salvage, save, score, scrape together, scrape up, secure, seize, snag, take, wangle, win
We have 27 antonyms for obtain.
disperse, distribute, divide, endanger, fail, forfeit, forsake, free, give, give up, harm, hurt, let go, lose, miss, misunderstand, offer, plant, release, sacrifice, scatter, spend, squander, surrender, throw away, waste, yield
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
Pronunciation: (əb-tānˈ, ŏb-)
View up to 25 definitions of obtain from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (verb-transitive) To succeed in gaining possession of as the result of planning or endeavor; acquire.
- (verb-intransitive) To be established, accepted, or customary: "standards, proprieties that no longer obtain” ( Meg Greenfield).
- (verb-intransitive) Archaic To succeed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (verb-transitive) To hold; to keep; to possess.
- (verb-transitive) To get hold of by effort; to gain possession of; to procure; to acquire, in any way.
- (verb-intransitive) To gain or have a firm footing; to be recognized or established; to become prevalent or general; to prevail.
- (verb-intransitive) To prevail; to succeed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) To get; procure; secure; acquire; gain: as, to obtain a month's leave of absence; to obtain riches.
- (None) To attain; reach; arrive at.
- (None) To attain or reach by endeavor; succeed in (reaching, receiving, or doing something); manage.
- (None) Hence To achieve; win.
- (None) To hold; keep; maintain possession of.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (verb) receive a specified treatment (abstract)
- (verb) be valid, applicable, or true
- (verb) come into possession of