Quest is a slightly difficult word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand quest (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use quest in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of quest, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of quest, followed by 39 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(verb) - search the trail of (game)
EXAMPLES - Quest in a Sentence
- MEN: Federer to face del Potro in quest for sixth title (source)
- WIAA state boys basketball: Memorial completes title quest (source)
- "Part of the allure of this quest is the element of camping," (source)
- OWU begins its national title quest tonight by playing Fisher (Mass.) (source)
- And we went forth, he in quest of the moose, and I to the cache I had changed. (source)
- COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Top-seeded Maryland begins its title quest Saturday against (source)
- Legacy of last year's IPL victory to spur Deccan Chargers 'title quest: Gilchrist (source)
- I find myself continually combing my vocabulary in quest of just and adequate words. (source)
- Stooping over in quest of minnows, he jerked his head back as though he had been stung. (source)
- All that would mean, if the company were successful in its quest, is -- another opinion. (source)
- Oklahoma Wesleyan University's national title quest will have to go through Fisher (Mass.) (source)
- Tony Mowbray is watching his title quest being undermined by negligent defending and if the (source)
- The title quest has been driving him, from Pittsburgh to Detroit to Chicago the past few years. (source)
- That can't possibly do anything for the Saints except elevate their title quest to a mission of sorts. (source)
- Man United haven't lost at Aston Villa since 1999 so can they continue their title quest there on Wednesday? (source)
- Their title quest got another boost Thursday after beating the Toronto Lynx, 6-0, in their final home game of the regular season. (source)
- A blighted leper -- was Daughtry's thought as his quick eyes leapt from hands to feet in quest of missing toe - and finger-joints. (source)
- In the frame: Liverpool Rafa Benitez believes his side have been boosted in their title quest following their impressive win at Old Trafford (source)
- For this sickness of pessimism, caused by drink, one must drink further in quest of the anodyne that John Barleycorn promises but never delivers. (source)
- Sometimes it takes the random and unexpected gift of a stranger to open our eyes so we can make those discoveries of things we were not in quest of. (source)
- Bible readers, those who search the Bible for themselves, perhaps exemplify the urgency more plainly than readers of Shakespeare, yet the quest is the same. (source)
- BERLIN - Olympic champion Angelo Taylor lost an appeal Sunday to be reinstated back into the 400-meter hurdles, ending his title quest at the world championships. (source)
- You know those other games where the word "quest" is in their name and they want to give you the impression that they have a lot of them by using the word "ever" also? (source)
- Three-time champion Alberto Contador attacked in the final climb of Tuesday's 162.5km route from Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux to Gap - and reduced his deficit in the title quest. (source)
- There are many goals that crop up through a season, from the short-term quest to win a road trip, to the long-term pursuit of a playoff spot, home-court advantage or even a top seed. (source)
- Liverpool looked set to wrap up another three points in its title quest when Dirk Kuyt scored after three minutes, but the visitors couldn't extend their advantage despite dominating. (source)
- Plus it's pretty weird to see a SP game that offers little in replayabilty (since the main quest is short and not so many side-quests) vs. GTAIV that offers both SP & MP, both of very high quality. (source)
- The word "serendipity" comes from the Persian fairy tale "The Three Princes of Serendip," whose heroes "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of." (source)
- Brink has a context-sensitive command menu (which you can activate in the console versions of the game by pressing "up" on the D-pad) which will give you a list of different short-term quest-like goals to do. (source)
- Rafa Benitez's side had looked set to wrap up another three points in their title quest in just two minutes when a magnificent finish by Dirk Kuyt saw blundering Brazilian keeper Heurelho Gomes exposed yet again. (source)
- New Orleans, which enjoyed a first-round playoff bye, eliminated the Cardinals, last year's Super Bowl losers, to continue a title quest that has inspired a city still struggling to recover from Hurricane Katrina. (source)
- AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2010: Justine Henin battles back from the brink to chalk up 500th career win today fought back from a set down to keep her Australian Open title quest going just a month after returning from retirement. (source)
- Legacy of IPL II victory will spur our title quest: Gilchrist star Adam Gilchrist insists his team has much to live up to after rising from the bottom in the cricket team yesterday by taking punitive action against leading players. (source)
- Fergie says only two teams can stop Man U's Premier League title quest LONDON - Coach Alex Ferguson has said that only two clubs -- Chelsea and Liverpool-can stop his Manchester United team from marching into the history books this season. (source)
- Power failure leads to evacuation at South Shore Hospital's outpatient surgical center New museum likely to get items from Marshfield Historical Commission's collection Whitman-Hanson-Pembroke girls hockey team breaks down barriers in title quest (source)
- We have seen again and again in modern U.S. politics that to create a compelling narrative of any candidate's major character flaws, his opponents or the media need to find early hints of that flaw, what I call the quest for foreshadowing (see below). (source)
- Legacy of last year's IPL victory to spur Deccan Chargers 'title quest: Gilchrist MUMBAI - Deccan Chargers skipper and former Australian star Adam Gilchrist insists his team has much to live up to after rising from the bottom in the Indian Premier League's first season to be the champions in the second. (source)
- We camped on the opposite side of the campus from the prowlers, and, while some stood guard, others of us volunteered to scout into the city in quest of horses, motor-cars, carts, and wagons, or anything that would carry our provisions and enable us to emulate the banded workingmen I had seen fighting their way out to the open country. (source)
- Devil be damned! he shouted his loudest and most belligerent, as he ruffled like a bravo at the gutter-cat beneath him, so that he sent her crouching, with startlement, lower to the floor, her ears wilting rigidly flat and down, her tail lashing, her head turning about the room so that her eyes might penetrate its obscurest corners in quest of the human whose voice had so cried out. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 39 example sentences provided below is 60.0, which suggests that "quest" is a standard word that is understood by individuals with a high school diploma or degree, and can be found in news articles, books, magazines and other places.
We have 24 synonyms for quest.
adventure, chase, crusade, delving, enterprise, examination, expedition, hunt, inquest, inquiry, inquisition, investigation, journey, mission, pilgrimmage, prey, probe, probing, pursual, pursuit, quarry, research, seeking, voyage
We have 1 antonym for quest.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of quest from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (noun) The act or an instance of seeking or pursuing something; a search.
- (noun) An expedition undertaken in medieval romance by a knight in order to perform a prescribed feat: the quest for the Holy Grail.
- (noun) Archaic A jury of inquest.
- (verb-intransitive) To go on a quest.
- (verb-intransitive) To search for game.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) A journey or effort in pursuit of a goal (often lengthy, ambitious, or fervent); a mission.
- (verb) To seek or pursue a goal; to undertake a mission or job.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) The act of seeking, or looking after anything; attempt to find or obtain; search; pursuit
- (noun) Request; desire; solicitation.
- (noun) Those who make search or inquiry, taken collectively.
- (noun) Inquest; jury of inquest.
- (verb-transitive) To search for; to examine.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (noun) The act of seeking; search; pursuit; suit.
- (noun) An act of searching or seeking, as for a particular object: as, the quest of the holy grail.
- (noun) A body of searchers collectively; a searching party.
- (noun) Inquiry; examination.
- (noun) Request; desire; solicitation; prayer; demand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (verb) search the trail of (game)
- (noun) a search for an alternative that meets cognitive criteria
- (verb) seek alms, as for religious purposes
- (verb) bark with prolonged noises, of dogs
- (verb) make a search (for)