Sadistic is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand sadistic (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use sadistic in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of sadistic, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of sadistic, followed by 39 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - deriving pleasure or sexual gratification from inflicting pain on another
EXAMPLES - Sadistic in a Sentence
- Australian priest jailed for 'sadistic' child abuse (source)
- We name sadistic schoolgirl whose attack led to death (source)
- The owners get some kind of sadistic pleasure out of it. (source)
- SCHARDT: Yes, he had an evil, kind of sadistic demeanor to him. (source)
- What kind of sadistic, voyeuristic and homoerotic policy is this? (source)
- I'm sorry, but when has trying to get an ACTUAL answer became "sadistic"? (source)
- Bandar Abdulaziz was the victim of a 'sadistic' campaign of abuse by the prince. (source)
- Is this an infantile, juvenile person or is this some kind of sadistic serial killer? (source)
- This is an obscenity, and this kind of sadistic, senseless violence against women has to stop. (source)
- Oliver Twist has a kind of sadistic quality, a kind of sly celebration of cruelty and suffering. (source)
- And that allows them to lack empathy, and that ` s what creates a kind of sadistic, violent behavior. (source)
- Former guards as well as detainees told McClatchy reporters about what Lasseter called sadistic violence. (source)
- In what police later would describe as a sadistic frenzy, the girls were gang-raped for more than an hour. (source)
- The third theory, which is perhaps less prevalent than the others, Freud terms the sadistic theory of coitus. (source)
- There were more than 60,000 images and 649 videos involving child porn, several of which portray "sadistic" conduct. (source)
- And its failure to take action against one of its own, caught on tape in what can only be described as sadistic torture. (source)
- Levin called the Mont Vernon and Dartmouth murders "sadistic," because of the extreme brutality in which they were carried out. (source)
- Daniel Cohn-Bendit, a student leader in 1968 and now Europe Ecologie MEP, called Sarkozy "sadistic" in his treatment of his cabinet. (source)
- Somehow I got away, called a sadistic asshole and high-tailed it back across the street to my house. there i quickly forgot about it. (source)
- I just feel I'm better at creating scenarios that unravel with a kind of sadistic, absurd glee, like the fever dreams of a mad scientist. (source)
- Shawn did have a cruel mouth, Sara thought, but his eyes looked too innocent to contain anything that could truly be described as sadistic. (source)
- My dear fellow, 'sadistic' is so subjective, perhaps it was just a friendly pat on the face, similar to Abu Ghraib torture being a 'sex party'? (source)
- AKAKA: Secretary Rumsfeld, the allegations of abuse at this detention facility has been characterized as sadistic, blatant, wanton criminal abuses. (source)
- And the kind of sadistic savagery that's alleged here is such that a jury is going to want to make sure that justice is done when this trial is over. (source)
- We did head shots, indoor and outdoor portraiture -- even an eleven-person group shot in a room that can best be described as sadistic for small flashes. (source)
- Catholic Church abuse scandal: focus switches to 'sadistic' German bishop Apartheid's 'gay cure' shrink is charged with indecent assault on a male patient (source)
- Do they not recall the sadistic brilliance of How Do You Sleep, when you slew the slack-kneed sagging of McCartney into follow-the-bouncing-ball pop hooey? (source)
- A gay Saudi prince is facing a life sentence after being convicted of beating and strangling his servant to death at the culmination of a campaign of "sadistic" abuse. (source)
- Back in 1988, he was sentenced to death by a court in Israel after he was identified as the sadistic guard known as "Ivan the Terrible" from the Treblinka concentration camp. (source)
- He says he meant that they were WAY overdressed for a little event to help a dying baby, but Danielle took it as a "sadistic" threat, even though she wasn't even around when he said it. (source)
- There something, let's say, interesting about a critical perspective that simultaneously lambastes a film for being "sadistic" while also criticizing the filmmaker for not showing more onscreen violence. (source)
- prison Thursday for what he called the sadistic killing of two students who were bound, tortured and stabbed to death in a London apartment last students after a botched burglary turned into a horrific bloodbath. (source)
- In America, emotional pain, intimidation, and fear are precipitated by way of vicious psychological bullying such as sadistic ridicule, character assassination, destructive criticism, labeling, and spreading lies. (source)
- Jail for 'feral' women who tortured friend for 18 hours over love spat TWO young British women were jailed for the "sadistic" kidnapping and torture of a friend they discovered slept with one of their ex-boyfriends. (source)
- Prosecutors said Dano Sonnex and Nigel prison Thursday for what he called the sadistic killing of two students who were bound, tortured and stabbed to death in a London apartment last students in a London apartment a year ago. (source)
- I remember someone coming, or so he thought, to the rescue of Ian Fleming after Fleming had been attacked as a vulgar, showy, sadistic writer, and the terms of the rescue were the same: of course James Bond is vulgar, showy, sadistic, that is the point, etc. (source)
- An Austrian group of self-described victims and experts called the "Platform of those affected by church violence", says more than 150 people have called its hot line to report church abuse cases that was at times "sadistic" in nature, logging a total of 174 cases since March 23. (source)
- An Austrian group of self-described victims and experts called the "Platform of those affected by church violence", says Friday that more than 150 people have called its hot line to report church abuse cases that was at times "sadistic" in nature, logging a total of 174 cases since March 23. (source)
- At any rate, the child never doubts that he is loved, which means that although he chafes against incidences of parental lack of understanding and a kind of sadistic, cock-fighting adult playfulness (setting him against his younger brother), he never seems to regard himself as unhappy, or rather seems never to have expected to be happier. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 39 example sentences provided below is 53.0, which suggests that "sadistic" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 6 synonyms for sadistic.
barbarous, brutal, fiendish, perverse, ruthless, vicious
We have 5 antonyms for sadistic.
gentle, humane, kind, merciful, nice
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of sadistic from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Delighting in or feeling pleasure from the pain of others.
- (adjective) Of behaviour which gives pleasure in the pain of others.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Relating to sadism or to one who practises it.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) deriving pleasure or sexual gratification from inflicting pain on another