Salacious is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand salacious (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use salacious in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of salacious, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of salacious, followed by 33 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - characterized by lust
EXAMPLES - Salacious in a Sentence
- He later described the text messages as "salacious". (source)
- Discussing the texts, he acknowledged they were "salacious". (source)
- If we receive any "salacious" rumors, we will happily repeat them. (source)
- Kind of like the word salacious during the Clinton impeachment area. (source)
- Star Tribune of Minneapolis that the new complaint is "salacious" and (source)
- Sorenson offered great detail without resorting to the salacious stuff. (source)
- We know that he had problems, but this kind of salacious opportunism is poisonous. (source)
- But the destruction that they've created with this kind of salacious detail may never be repaired. " (source)
- Or would you sit there making salacious remarks about that photo album when those daughters were in the room? (source)
- The project will be produced by Survivor's Mark Burnett who has previously insisted that it will not be "salacious". (source)
- I'm not sure that the adjective "salacious" can really be connected to Robert Wright and Mickey Kaus's commentaries... (source)
- Which I am sure is not any kind of salacious double entendre, and instead refers to those glowy tubes you buy at a rave. (source)
- In fact, the only organization spreading the content of the seemingly "salacious" Planned Parenthood materials is the institute. (source)
- Mr Turnbull won the backing of the coalition's Senate leader Nick Minchin who described media reporting of the meeting as "salacious". (source)
- They will be taught the old Clough principle of not arguing with referees and his new employers will never have to face the kind of salacious (source)
- You can even play between different Apple gadgets like some kind of salacious cross-device smut between a first generation iPod touch and a 3G iPad. (source)
- For the record, Paisley vociferously denied apologising to Armstrong, claiming the newspaper which reported the story was 'wicked,' 'salacious' and 'immoral.' (source)
- Tony Blair made a series of angry phone calls to try to halt publication of a 'salacious' autobiography by Lord Mandelson because he feared it would overshadow his own book. (source)
- The two-part special also examines the argument between salacious nudity versus nudity deemed justified by being a reflection of real-life events such as in the mini-series Roots. (source)
- And while it has been marketed as "salacious," aside from a few anecdotes about players hooking up with local girls (some not of legal age) and a slew of raunchy actions in the clubhouse, (source)
- Some activists are pressing hard on the "Foley Child Molestor" talking points because they believe this kind of salacious description is what it will take to win points in the next election. (source)
- The team didn't intend for this to become a "salacious" detail that forums and message boards would discuss endlessly, but instead to be a key piece of who she is and why she is the why she is. (source)
- Yet if this was reason enough for the failure of Egyptian writers to indulge in the kind of salacious detail that the Greeks and the Romans so relished, then there was also a broader cultural explanation. (source)
- And while it has been marketed as "salacious," aside from a few anecdotes about players hooking up with local girls (some not of legal age) and a slew of raunchy actions in the clubhouse, McCarthy left a lot out. (source)
- The lawsuit says Facebook pages designed as "bait" are disseminated to social network users as posts that seemingly originate from friends, enticing visitors an opportunity to view salacious or provocative content. (source)
- The Daily Telegraph established that Mr Draper and his wife had lunch with the Prime Minister only 12 days after The Red Rag, the website that was to carry the "salacious" allegations against Tories, was registered. (source)
- I'm not suggesting we brand these women with scarlet A's, and I'm not forgetting the adulterous man in the equation, neither the media outlets that dole out dollars for salacious stories, nor the public that consumes them. (source)
- While Callie is recovering from chicken pox this week, "We see a little girl-on-girl action," said Capshaw, who added that it was nice to see the build-up of the relationship first before jumping into "salacious" make-out sessions. (source)
- The article claims that the court "concluded that [the plaintiff's] speech was not a 'public concern' but rather was 'racist, sexist, and bordered on vulgar,' and it characterized her behavior, in part, as 'salacious' and 'mean spirited.'" (source)
- Privacy, of course, is as quaint as a Victrola -- sexual preferences, credit ratings and cholesterol levels are broadcast nonstop -- and everyone continually rates everyone else on an 800-point scale for personality and sexiness in the most salacious terms imaginable. (source)
- In fact, the details of the case that have emerged certainly do not point to the kind of salacious story that many might like, and the Vatican would fear, especially as it is struggling to emerge from the pall of clergy sexual abuse scandals that have been dogging the pope and the church. (source)
- Is there not a danger that American authors who now specialize in this subject will, as they grow older, find themselves obliged, like certain of their European colleagues, to present a 'salacious' scene at the end of every chapter, in order to hold the attention of over-stimulated and jaded readers? (source)
- What makes the evening unique is that Jeremy Aluma, who conceives and directs the evening, doesn't just string together a slew of salacious scenes -- for that seems to be the common theme; it also gets the most laughs - for the sake of shock and aaah, he circumscribes them within the context of a story of how the archetypal clowns forged their identities. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 33 example sentences provided below is 47.0, which suggests that "salacious" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 25 synonyms for salacious.
bawdy, carnal, erotic, fast, horny, hot, indecent, lecherous, lewd, libertine, libidinous, licentious, lubricious, lustful, nasty, obscene, orgiastic, prurient, raunchy, sensual, smutty, steamy, suggestive, voluptuous, wanton
We have 4 antonyms for salacious.
clean, decent, moral, pure
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of salacious from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adjective) Appealing to or stimulating sexual desire; lascivious.
- (adjective) Lustful; bawdy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Promoting sexual desire or lust.
- (adjective) Lascivious, bawdy, obscene, lewd.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) Having a propensity to venery; lustful; lecherous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Lustful; lecherous.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) characterized by lust
- (adjective) suggestive of or tending to moral looseness