Sanity is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand sanity (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use sanity in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of sanity, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of sanity, followed by 43 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - normal or sound powers of mind
EXAMPLES - Sanity in a Sentence
- It may be rude, but fuck it, my sanity is at stake. (source)
- Taking a stand for sanity is not a partisan position. (source)
- We have a thing in my business called sanity checking. (source)
- Nothing less than survival, or sanity, is usually at stake. (source)
- Let's hope that my sanity is the only thing that is lost tonight. (source)
- But helping him keep his sanity is the talent level of this class. (source)
- Finally, some common sense and sanity from a politician! joe salters (source)
- The best way to turn country back to sanity is to promote meritocracy. (source)
- What in the name of sanity has happened to our sense of the common good? (source)
- Not if you want to keep your sanity, that is, and keep a wife from tears. (source)
- "Thanks again Eric for a little sanity, which is in such short supply in th" (source)
- One needs only to look into that woman's eyes to understand her sanity is gone. (source)
- Maybe it seems silly, but if your life or your sanity is at risk, it's not a bad idea. (source)
- Isn't my long-term sanity worth a few (more) months of slightly uncomfortable finances? (source)
- Then on top of that they get between 5 and 10 more days holiday a year, plus 10 "sanity" days. (source)
- With one exception, none who knew him personally ever thought of calling his sanity in question. (source)
- A legal battle over his sanity is a large part of the reason the case took three years to get to trial. (source)
- And my sanity was a natural choice, because of worry, fear, they wear you down, they take energy from you. (source)
- If you even look at it for too long then your sanity, which is monitored in the inventory tab, will start to crumble. (source)
- Agca frequently made grandiose statements, sometimes comparing himself to Christ, that called his sanity into question. (source)
- When I walked into my workplace, the place I called sanity's sanctuary, I would be greeted by tens of thousands of books. (source)
- What Byler and Park portray as a victory for civic sanity is still one of the tougher local immigration enforcement laws in the land. (source)
- He considered that the brain doctor had been guilty of a piece of meddlesome interference in restoring the old lady to so-called sanity in (source)
- The notice did not indicate when or where the exam, which is done by what the military calls a sanity board, will take place, Galligan said. (source)
- The only hope for sanity is to force them to use the same numbers in every forum, rather than their preferred tactic of telling each audience what it wants to hear. (source)
- And that unknown means Owen is facing her new pregnancy with as much fear as joy, repeating what she calls sanity sonograms for reassurance that this baby's still fine. (source)
- Choking on Marlon Brando: A Memoir: "You're left wondering whether Antonia Quirke is totally brilliant or if she really did lose it (her sanity, that is) at the movies." (source)
- Actually, this media groupthink explains a lot -- including why we find ourselves in a time and place in our country in which a rally to restore sanity is even necessary. (source)
- And that unknown means Owen is facing her new pregnancy with as much fear as joy, repeating what she calls sanity sonograms for reassurance that this baby''s still fine .... (source)
- But Emerson is as much his superior in that high and transparent sanity, which is not further removed from midsummer madness than it is from a terrene and grovelling mediocrity. (source)
- He says a short-term approach is needed that might include investigating allegations of price gouging and also restoring what he calls sanity to the prices set at the pump and at home. (source)
- Being organized will help you maintain sanity with a busy schedule and alleviate stress with a more fulfilling agenda that honors work and play allowing you to balance as much as you possibly can. (source)
- Farrell has never done anything that would call her sanity into question more than, say, masquerading as another man and continuously pursuing empty sexual relationships that could destroy your family. (source)
- I'm staying optimistic, but then again, I've got to write 2,000-word recaps of 32 more episodes between now and late May, so my happiness and long-term sanity are in the hands of Cecile Frot-Coutaz & Co. (source)
- It went through a most extraordinary remorse amounting to madness and resuscitation into sanity, which is equally strange in history whether it seems as ghastly as a galvanised corpse or as glorious as a god risen from the dead. (source)
- (yesterday's Fiver letters) has finally confirmed this to be a fact: falling off at 200mph clearly has an adverse effect on long-term sanity "- Steve Broughton (and 1,056 others). and correct his dislocated shoulder off the goalpost?" (source)
- Let the Canadians do as they see fit, as long as they aren't exterminating seals through their harvest, and life will retain sanity and will continue on without a hitch and without the added hassle of Europeans telling North Americans how to run their lives. (source)
- But his integrity, to say nothing of his sanity, is under constant challenge from the competing demands of an exuberant multinational staff, a gimlet-eyed hotel management, and business partners with whom he is secretly planning a move to a restaurant of his own. (source)
- Now when he was misusing his authority to browbeat me into what he termed sanity, I found comfort in recalling that after all he had once in a moment of forgetfulness confessed to having a home at Mentone Park, with a wife and four daughters of whose accomplishments he spoke almost with boasting. (source)
- You have huckstered away opportunity just upon the edge of indictable knavery; your ambition has been to be well with the wealth and sleek respectability of the day, to make your son begin life the sordid worldling that you end it, to marry your daughter to the richest fool, -- and this you call sanity and common sense! (source)
- This woman did not tell her that she made her head ache, but, on the contrary, she hugged her, and laughed, and cried, till her sanity was a thing to be doubted of; and when released from her, Eva flew from one to another, shaking hands and kissing, in a way that Miss Ophelia afterwards declared fairly turned her stomach. (source)
- He watched it, he watched amazed and incredulous, he watched this contradiction of all his reiterated confessions of faith in German sanity and pacifism, he watched it with all that was impersonal in his being, and meanwhile his personal life ran in a continually deeper and narrower channel as his intelligence was withdrawn from it. (source)
- As those who have long leaned over a precipice, have at last felt a desire to plunge below, to relieve the intolerable temptation of their giddiness, * you will hear them laugh amid their wildest paroxysms; you will say, 'Doubtless those wretches have some consolation, but I have none; my sanity is my greatest curse in this abode of horrors. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 43 example sentences provided below is 57.0, which suggests that "sanity" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 27 synonyms for sanity.
acumen, balance, clear mind, common sense, comprehension, good judgment, healthy mind, intelligence, judiciousness, levelheadedness, lucidity, lucidness, marbles, normality, prudence, rationality, reason, reasonableness, right mind, sagacity, saneness, sense, sound mind, soundness, stability, understanding, wit
We have 11 antonyms for sanity.
craziness, ignorance, inability, ineptness, insanity, instability, madness, misinterpretation, mistake, misunderstanding, unsoundness
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of sanity from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (noun) The quality or condition of being sane; soundness of mind.
- (noun) Soundness of judgment or reason.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) The condition of being sane.
- (noun) Reasonable and rational behaviour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (noun) The condition or quality of being sane; soundness of health of body or mind, especially of the mind; saneness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (noun) The state or character of being sane; soundness of mind; saneness. See insanity.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) normal or sound powers of mind