Tactless is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand tactless (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use tactless in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of tactless, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of tactless, followed by 36 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - lacking or showing a lack of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others
EXAMPLES - Tactless in a Sentence
- The comic makes tactless homophobic jibes at his masculinity. (source)
- STARR: One analyst says the president's remarks were tactless. (source)
- But he disdained most of them as imitative, frivolous, and tactless. (source)
- Or to a chronic pickpocket, or an over-tactless critic of government policy. (source)
- He couldn't help wondering aloud, tactless, "But you said you danced for the sea." (source)
- "And no one tactless enough to suggest that he and Helen may have been lying about their relationship." (source)
- They have remained the bullying, tactless, blindly conformist bunch of goons that they have always been. (source)
- I can only imagine that you must have the misfortune to be acquainted with a lot of extremely tactless people! (source)
- Just when I thought I knew the names of most of the more tactless, bigotted Republicans, along comes this clown. (source)
- If you have tactless enough friends who would post "dude, she's a DOG!" you're still probably going to axe those. (source)
- It had been important to see her reaction and he realized at once that to her the remark had been worse than tactless. (source)
- As for Biden being 'tactless', I would suggest that's why Bibi considers him a straight shooter (aka "doesn't pull his punches"). (source)
- If you're harsh, critical, or tactless, no one will want to work with you, and the resulting tension will hamper your efficiency and creativity. (source)
- She clearly felt that it would be tactless for them to remain the room while Harry and the Dursleys exchanged loving, possibly tearful farewells. (source)
- And almost tactless to mention is the garish side effect: the rise of Apple to exceed Microsoft and on some days Exxon Mobil, as the world's most valuable company. (source)
- I haven't found out what the trouble is, but I know you must have sinned against the girl in some way, or done something tactless, which is worse, and made her angry. (source)
- It's not like my physics major, where it seemed tactless but at least it was something I had chosen for myself so I could be blamed for it if they felt blame was necessary. (source)
- In truth, I have no way of knowing whether some passage of mine inspired Mr. Obama's tactless assertion that the hard-done-by clutch guns and irrationally oppose free-trade deals. (source)
- The books follow the adventures of Marla Mason, the brusque, tactless, violent chief sorcerer (sort of a cross between a mob boss and a superhero) of an East Coast city called Felport. (source)
- There is some natural law that ensures that whenever civilisation talks to the heathen, it is through the person of the most obstinate, short-sighted, arrogant, tactless clown available. (source)
- The world is corrupt, everyone's out to screw over everyone else, men are tactless pigs and women are manipulative gold-diggers and it's all enough to cast a permanent pall over everything. (source)
- A spokeswoman for the department told Ekho Moskvy radio that it was "tactless" of the publisher to use the department's name for the calendar, but that the students would face no punishment. (source)
- What other character do you know of who is searingly brilliant, stunningly engaging in his rat-a-tat-tat conversational wizardly, totally and even smugly tactless and rude - and still adored? (source)
- Even though I support gay marriage, I find myself having rushed to defend Prejean because of the tactless, classless, frankly misogynstic attacks on her by permanent fame seeker, Perez Hilton. (source)
- As Eleanor Arnason can attest when I worked with her at the Ramsey County Historical Society, it only takes an hour business road trip for me to say something wildly unprofessional and tactless. (source)
- Although it may seem well-meaning, being blunt or tactless with another is unkind and usually motivated not by a genuine desire to help that person but by the need to feel superior and be intimidating. (source)
- "It is wrong and tactless, to use Sen. Kennedy's death -- or anyone's -- simply to advance a particular policy agenda," said Ed Feulner, president of the conservative Heritage Foundation, in a statement. (source)
- All too well as an American abroad I recall the embarrassment of being represented on the world stage by a tactless, insensitive president who seemed to possess little more than a child's understanding of the world. (source)
- Again and again, contestants who have said something tactless or insulting will protest that they're merely being "honest", while contestants who politely try to conceal their dislike of others are dismissed as "two-faced". (source)
- I mention this now because I was utterly shocked with the tactless comments and attitudes Eric and Roland displayed after getting arrested with Carmen (a drug addicted soldier that has been receiving treatment from Dr. Burton). (source)
- An honest person cannot be identified simply as one who, for example, always tells the truth, nor even as one who always tells the truth because it is the truth, for one can have the virtue of honesty without being tactless or indiscreet. (source)
- Brighton Argus reported that workers at the Burgess Hill and Shoreham factories of the Edwards company were told in the video - deemed "tactless" by the Unite union - that manufacturing was being moved to South Korea and the Czech Republic. (source)
- Nutt illustrates this by his Asperger style conduct in television interviews where, among other things, his thoughtless, tactless bull-in-a-china-shop way of conveying his views expresses a near complete numbness to the humanly emotive dimensions of the topic. (source)
- Nevertheless, Paulson and his team easily fit into the profile Lewis develops of his cast of characters who also broke through the accepted wisdom: cranky, odd, brilliant, feisty, tactless outsiders, nearly all equity traders who brought fresh insights into the jungle of bond trading. (source)
- As if we'd all forgotten him, James did a recent interview on ESPN in which he sat before a cozy fireplace, recounted his meek performance against the Mavericks "After the Finals I sat in my room for two weeks", expressed regret for his tactless "Decision" special and announced he would no longer play the villain role. (source)
- All too many academic theories about PD are incomprehensible, pompously-expressed "concepts" from persons -- among them rightfully esteemed tenured professors whose intelligence is all too often joined with a tactless inability to handle the last three feet of person-to-person contact -- who have never actually practiced, not being members of the diplomatic corps, the "public diplomacy" they lecture about. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 36 example sentences provided below is 48.0, which suggests that "tactless" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 40 synonyms for tactless.
awkward, blundering, boorish, brash, bungling, clumsy, crude, discourteous, gauche, gruff, harsh, hasty, impolite, impolitic, imprudent, inconsiderate, indelicate, indiscreet, inept, injudicious, insensitive, maladroit, misunderstanding, rash, rough, rude, sharp, stupid, thoughtless, uncivil, unconsiderate, undiplomatic, unfeeling, unkind, unperceptive, unpolished, unsubtle, unsympathetic, untactful, vulgar
We have 4 antonyms for tactless.
careful, discreet, tactful, thoughtful
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of tactless from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adjective) Lacking or exhibiting a lack of tact; bluntly inconsiderate or indiscreet.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) having no tact; unaware or intentionally inconsiderate of someone else's feelings
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adjective) Destitute of tact.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Destitute of tact; characterized by want of tact.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) lacking or showing a lack of what is fitting and considerate in dealing with others
- (adjective) revealing lack of perceptiveness or judgment or finesse