Ugly is a slightly difficult word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand ugly (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use ugly in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of ugly, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of ugly, followed by 45 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - morally reprehensible
EXAMPLES - Ugly in a Sentence
- It's gonna get ugly is the next entry in this blog. (source)
- USATODAY. com - To beat Lakers, Pistons must win 'ugly' (source)
- I have felt utterly covered in ugly, unworthy and unloved. (source)
- Isn't that amazing, his word ugly with a pretty face like that? (source)
- He did not elaborate or describe what he meant by the word "ugly." (source)
- The only thing contentious and ugly is the size of John Cornyn's head. (source)
- So this question always rattles around in ugly stories such as this one: (source)
- What's "ugly" is the way this administration lies and spends and spends and spends. (source)
- I'm aghast that the word ugly would be directed at the Democratic campaign of Obama/Biden. (source)
- Armstrong was, in short, ugly, ignorant, prejudiced and as fine a soldier as Sharpe had met. (source)
- This is what I call the ugly of uglies, one religion fighting with another religion over a child. (source)
- She called the ugly water-snakes her little chickens, and allowed them to crawl all over her bosom. (source)
- I saw a mug shot of him, and he was so dumb-looking and just so plain ugly that I couldn't let him lie. (source)
- She called the ugly fat water-snakes her little chickens, and allowed them to crawl upward and all about her. (source)
- When ever I hear a Republican use the word ugly, referring to politics, I see a Republican who wants to be liked. (source)
- I say keep the word ugly, every time you hear it know that evil is still around, know that the situation is urgent. (source)
- D **** -- through a flat fen country, which though I had often heard it described as ugly, struck my imagination much. (source)
- "But I _wasn't_ in fun, you ugly, naughty, _ugly_ boy," retorted Hoodie, by this time most evidently losing her temper. (source)
- 'Why, I told 'em so, sir,' said Jacob; 'ugly one, says I, she you call the ugly one, is one of the best ladies in the land. (source)
- 'Well, I don't know what you call ugly,' he answered, 'but if you had seen her stare, you would have thought her ugly enough! (source)
- Everyone else was pretty much a middle aged, slightly overweight, upper middle class white women in ugly clothes from Chico's. (source)
- Must say the present head of Telstra would go under the title ugly american type but American's don't have a lock on arrogance. (source)
- Especially ugly is the rage directed at the Tea Party and the benign neglect shown to these vermin who await further marching orders. (source)
- The prime minister objected to what he called ugly remarks when Iraqi President Jalal Talabani said Turkey had meddled in Iraq's affairs. (source)
- And I condescendingly called her Hunnie and then maybe something about being a bitch and I don't know, the word ugly may have slipped out. (source)
- If pop culture has luscious imagery, and you have to speak in ugly form, your work is already marginal and gets worse off by having to look incompetent. (source)
- Well with so many strong views on American diplomacy and the war in Iraq, the term the ugly American is still often attached to American tourists abroad. (source)
- He stopped and sat waiting, twisted about in his saddle, his expression ugly and defiant, and yet touchingly helpless, the look of a boy in trouble and at bay. (source)
- Ultimately, we must continue to address our institutional racism which continues to rear its head in ugly ways today, such as trying to deny children a healthy dinner. (source)
- 'If he would ever lead me by the hand, like the little girl's papa at the house with the parrot, I should like that sort of papa, if he was not a little thin short ugly man. (source)
- Professor Bhim Singh appealed to the people of Jammu region in particular to defeat what he called the ugly designs of NC, Congress and PDP and the communal agenda of the BJP. (source)
- It's got a more coherent plot than some of his stuff, and the creatures and world are great, and the breaking of the old trope of good = beautiful bad = ugly is very, very welcome. (source)
- He testified that he worked on Sept. 11, 2001, and continued working at Ground Zero for months while engaged in what he called an "ugly" custody battle for his 14-year-old daughter. (source)
- The fact that art is constantly using what we call the ugly as well as what we call the commonplace, and turning both these into new forms of beauty, is a fact that considerably complicates the situation. (source)
- It for someone like ms clinton to flippantly make those remarks and act like it was nothing is just plain ugly and just like most people who wont admit to themselves that those were the comments of a racist!!! (source)
- III.v. 62 (305, 9) [Foal is most foul, being foul to be a scoffer] [W: being found] The sense of the received reading is not fairly represented; it is, _The ugly seem most ugly, when, _ though _ugly, they are scoffers. (source)
- The defense secretary's Conservative Party supporters fought back Wednesday against what they called an ugly smear campaign against the 50-year-old Fox, who married in 2005, with his former flatmate Werritty serving as best man. (source)
- Are they only including the details they want to include to get an answer they want to hear rather then what they need to hear? do u think the word ugly actually describe a physical part of a person or a personality that a person show? (source)
- Sienna Millar, Kate Moss, Beyonce and Sarah Jessica Parker blazed a trail with them - now Irish guys are falling in love with the Ugg. Uggs - said to be an abbreviation of the word ugly - have been a ubiquitous fixture on the Irish high street for the past number of years. (source)
- Yuri was quick to point that out; and Tamas rubbed the ears of the gawky yellow hound that thrust its head under his arm to have a look at the puppies: Zadny, they called the ugly stray, who desperately wanted to please, who was good-tempered and keen to do what a body wanted. (source)
- ASABA-DELTA State Governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan, yesterday admonished members of boards and parastatals in the state to work in unity, warning that his administration would no longer tolerate internal wrangling and infighting, a situation he described as ugly and counter-productive. (source)
- Then as her own eyes chanced to fall upon the vases, she brought one of them to Mary, saying, "See, these are for you, -- a present from one, who bade me present them with his compliments to the little girl who nursed him on board the Windermere, and who cried because he called her ugly!" (source)
- | Death Pictures and Death Video there was a dude from canada who was a nudist, i forget who it was but he didnt have his photobucket locked when he posted pix to the watercooler post a pix thread and some girl called him out in a thread. i think he had the word ugly in his user name. cant remember though (source)
- God keeps painting it all the time, and never shows me twice the same picture; not even two snowfalls are just alike, nor the days that follow them; no more than two misty sunsets are alike -- for the color and even the form of the town you call ugly are a matter of the season of the year and of the time of day and of the light and air. (source)
- May 30th, 2008 8: 40 pm ET for the record. when watching cnn a few years ago when the big issue was the troops using wood as armor on humvee's, mcsame said it was sad because they weren't "Sexy" or appealing. yes mcsame its a shame that our soldiers are getting hurt in ugly vehicles. clonton should run as his vp for a double dose of fail (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 45 example sentences provided below is 64.0, which suggests that "ugly" is a standard word that is understood by individuals with a high school diploma or degree, and can be found in news articles, books, magazines and other places.
We have 33 synonyms for ugly.
animal, appalling, awful, bad-looking, beastly, deformed, disfigured, foul, frightful, grisly, gross, grotesque, hard-featured, hideous, homely, horrid, ill-favored, loathsome, misshapen, monstrous, not much to look at, plain, repelling, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, unbeautiful, uncomely, uninviting, unlovely, unprepossessing, unseemly, unsightly
We have 13 antonyms for ugly.
agreeable, attractive, beautiful, delicate, gentle, good, kind, lovely, nice, pleasant, pleasing, pretty, safe
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of ugly from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adjective) Displeasing to the eye; unsightly.
- (adjective) Repulsive or offensive; objectionable: an ugly remark.
- (adjective) Chiefly Southern U.S. Rude: Don't be ugly with me.
- (adjective) New England Unmanageable. Used of animals, especially cows or horses.
- (adjective) Morally reprehensible; bad.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Displeasing to the eye; not aesthetically pleasing.
- (adjective) Displeasing to the ear or some other sense.
- (adjective) Offensive to one's sensibilities or morality.
- (noun) ugliness
- (noun) An ugly person or thing.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adjective) Offensive to the sight; contrary to beauty; being of disagreeable or loathsome aspect; unsightly; repulsive; deformed.
- (adjective) Ill-natured; crossgrained; quarrelsome
- (adjective) Unpleasant; disagreeable; likely to cause trouble or loss.
- (noun) A shade for the face, projecting from the bonnet.
- (verb-transitive) To make ugly.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Unpleasing or repulsive in appearance; offensive to the sight; of very disagreeable aspect.
- (None) Morally repulsive or deformed; hideous; base; vile.
- (None) Disagreeable; offensive; suggestive of or threatening evil; associated with disadvantage or danger: as, an ugly rumor of defeat.
- (None) Ill-natured; cross-grained; quarrelsome; ill-conditioned.
- (None) Threatening painful or fatal consequences; dangerous: as, an ugly blow; an ugly cut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) morally reprehensible
- (adjective) provoking horror
- (adjective) displeasing to the senses
- (adjective) inclined to anger or bad feelings with overtones of menace