Undoubtedly is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand undoubtedly (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use undoubtedly in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of undoubtedly, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of undoubtedly, followed by 35 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adverb) - without doubt; certainly
EXAMPLES - Undoubtedly in a Sentence
- Peres, said South Africa "undoubtedly" had a role to play. (source)
- This issue would "undoubtedly" be an important point on the (source)
- Under early-day conditions, the idea undoubtedly was a good one. (source)
- Fortunately, he determined that she was "undoubtedly" of Aryan descent. (source)
- Of Mirabeau, the best biography in English undoubtedly will be that of F. M. (source)
- Commerce, undoubtedly, is traffic, but it is something more: it is intercourse. (source)
- Hanging out with this guy undoubtedly translates into hours of incessant counting. (source)
- The invasion of Iraq "undoubtedly" increased the terrorist threat in Britain, she said. (source)
- Particularly since Michele Malkin undoubtedly prefers precisely those policies to our own. (source)
- But, nevertheless, one may prophesy that we Englishmen must come to this, disagreeable as the idea undoubtedly is. (source)
- This would pave the way for the introduction of real courtesy and genuinely good society, such as undoubtedly existed in (source)
- Police were "undoubtedly" getting more community assistance in their fight against crime, spokesman Col Reg Crewe said in (source)
- Britain would continue working constructively for a resolution and the matter would "undoubtedly" come up at the G8 summit in (source)
- Thursday expressed his concern about the massive and "undoubtedly" orchestrated campaign of destruction of IFP election posters across (source)
- The fields up there seem to be fertile and there seems to be higher rainfall; the corn undoubtedly is an additional part of his income. (source)
- As I glanced at my colleagues around the table, each person looked slightly apprehensive, and my expression undoubtedly mirrored theirs. (source)
- Today, the title undoubtedly goes to giant advertising company Google which sees the world, and everything in it, as its advertising oyster. (source)
- First Palin, who happily went to China, no questions asked and now Mitt Romney who undoubtedly is a worldwide travelor, no questions or concerns. (source)
- His name undoubtedly stands very high in the present age, and will in all probability go down to posterity with more or less of renown or obloquy. (source)
- But much that is stunning here undoubtedly comes from the vision of people like co-executive producer Frank Darabont, who wrote and directed the pilot. (source)
- IDC noted the industry will "undoubtedly" move more toward the smartphone segment, but because of the tough economic times, the devices 'high prices drive consumers away. (source)
- In an interview at BP's St. James 'Square headquarters, Mr. Hayward, 52 years old, concedes the disaster off Louisiana will "undoubtedly" overshadow his achievements as CEO. (source)
- Sibanda said the bill, once promulgated, would "undoubtedly" pave the way for the resolution of the role, powers and functions of traditional leaders and institutions in local government. (source)
- Concerning Bon dzogchen, the terminology is different from that used in Nyingma dzogchen, but the meaning of its terms undoubtedly follows the Nyingma guideline instructions they borrowed. (source)
- However, President Dmitry Medvedev's economic adviser, Arkady Dvorkovich, said Wednesday that Russia will "undoubtedly" need to dip into its oil savings to pay for government spending in 2009. (source)
- To the administrator speaking, to the administration as a whole, electronic attendance verification undoubtedly is more important than a discussion about Dickens among a few English faculty members. (source)
- PCA archivist Wayne Sparkman said there were "undoubtedly" racists among the PCA's first members, but its founders also included men "who were not motivated by any shade of racism and wanted to have a denomination that was above that." (source)
- These criticisms are unsurprising: the image of a lone Washington bureaucrat reviewing pages of numbers to determine the pay of a hard-working, "undoubtedly" well-meaning Wall Street Capitalist is too much for any libertarian to resist. (source)
- "Biosolid" was a term undoubtedly invented by some public relations expert who was clever enough to know that the marketing potential of the product would be severely limited if the stuff was sold under its real name: processed human shit. (source)
- The Bar said there was "undoubtedly" an attitude among many judges, particularly at critical stages in the 1960s and the mid-1980s, that there was a serious threat to the security of the state and that this justified extreme measures in response. (source)
- But at the moment, they were dull with trauma: the initial panic, the crisis of frantic intervention, the invasion of strangers into their home, the agonising wait in a casualty ward, the approach of a doctor whose expression undoubtedly had said it all. (source)
- So when Horace looked back, and saw the presumed lunatic thus quickening his speed, and also wildly flourishing his whip, he fairly broke into a run himself, considering that, under the circumstances, "discretion was," undoubtedly, "the better part of valour." (source)
- If God can only be known as revealed in Humanity, and Christ is the highest representative of Humanity, we can very significantly say 'Christ is _the_ Son of God, very God of very God, of one substance with the Father,' though the phrase undoubtedly belongs to a philosophical dialect which we do not habitually use. (source)
- Yes, undoubtedly, that is true, but there are different kinds of courage, and Lord Byron's was of such a peculiar nature, and showed itself under such uncommon circumstances as to justify observation, for it evinces a quality necessary to be noticed by all who seek to portray his great soul with the wish of arriving at a close resemblance. (source)
- Charles Krauthammer noted the near-complete absence of people other than Michelle Obama who stood up to testify from personal knowledge about Obama's life or work an ABC News report at the time, entitled "Sex Ed for Kindergarteners 'Right Thing to Do,' Says Obama," - a title undoubtedly craftily planted many months in advance by the McCain campaign, kinda like the way (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 35 example sentences provided below is 40.0, which suggests that "undoubtedly" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 16 synonyms for undoubtedly.
assuredly, beyond question, beyond shadow of a doubt, definitely, doubtless, easily, indeed, of course, really, surely, truly, undeniably, unmistakably, unquestionably, well, without doubt
We have 6 antonyms for undoubtedly.
doubtedly, doubtfully, dubiously, indefinite, questionably, uncertain
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of undoubtedly from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adverb) Without doubt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Without doubt; without question; indubitably.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adverb) without doubt; certainly