Various is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand various (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use various in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of various, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of various, followed by 37 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - distinctly dissimilar or unlike
EXAMPLES - Various in a Sentence
- Do you use the labels various charities send you as free gifts? (source)
- Mr. Lieberman also criticized what he called various efforts by the (source)
- After reading my column, she called various county officials and yours truly. (source)
- I called various people and even left myself voicemails so I could hear the differences. (source)
- She called various witnesses, who testified to having seen him repeatedly in her company. (source)
- When I called various offices, I've been told that folks on the staff are still in meetings. (source)
- DaisyDeadhead - Same thing happens when you call the various utility and credit card companies ... (source)
- I could hear her calling the various flight information regions on the radio, as she could hear me. (source)
- And in short, various stories are told about his death, which was like that of one found guilty of parricide. (source)
- One final compliance item, we will make reference today in the call the various non-GAAP performance measures. (source)
- I probably have 300 LPs in various states of used that I'd love to have clean copies to play on the go. tweaked (source)
- And they called various preachers and they called me and said would I list for them my seven favorite preachers. (source)
- Many online banking customers may find their institution has a feature that allows them to label various accounts. (source)
- Economists, including under the term the various schools for Socialists, believe they are industrial and financial. (source)
- Anyone who has been to Israel during Christmas time knows about the large parties in various bars, attended by Jews. (source)
- During this call various remarks maybe made by management about their expectations, plans, and prospect for the future. (source)
- Demonstrations, riots and looting will break out in various sections of the country, hardest hit by the collapsing economy. (source)
- Some absolutely promiscuous butchers label various cuts of meat London broil, including flank steak, sirloin tip, top round, etc. (source)
- So, as a responsible financial journalist (ahem ...), I called my various service providers to inform them that I will be vacating the property. (source)
- Writing in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, the researchers called the various strategies for keeping things bottled up, covert coping. (source)
- Biblical commentary in Arabic, various rabbinical, mathematical, and grammatical writings, a Hebrew dictionary, liturgical poems and a Jewish prayer book. (source)
- This interactive tool to let you see which Netflix rentals are popular where is a fascinating window into the socioeconomic divides in various metropolitan areas. (source)
- In February 2008, the local courthouse had to close one day because of snowfall, and Ursin said she spent several hours on the phone calling various courthouse personnel. (source)
- Passing into the citadel I called various officers who had not taken part in the attack on Sirk and gave orders that the garrison on the walls facing Nansur Bridge be increased. (source)
- In the Netted alpha test: a service that sends snail mail postcards with any photo you upload, a guide to the best rooms in various hotels, and visual maps of automated phone menus for 500 US companies. (source)
- I think those nice people from Pasadena (who have been featured in various spots about urban farming) may be coming to the film festival my sister founded (which is the largest environmental film festival anywhere). (source)
- Lots of people in various states and other countries are not allowed to form unions and their workplace is decidedly non-Marine Corps-ish (except maybe for the brutality inflicted by superiors in Honduran sweatshops). (source)
- Meanwhile, sources close to Hamas revealed over the weekend that the movement had "executed" more than 35 Palestinians who were suspected of collaborating with Israel and were being held in various Hamas security installations. (source)
- Eventually elected officials have to run for reelection, and at that point prior events can matter in various ways: directly as an election issue, indirectly insofar as they affect objective conditions or general perceptions, and so forth. (source)
- During this call various remarks we make about future expectations, plans and prospects of the company constitute forward-looking statements for the purposes of the Safe Harbor provisions under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. (source)
- I am a little on the OCD side about how they are organized, so even though you might see some space on the left in various food shots, that space is reserved for baking books and it is cooking books I am out of space for (although dessert books are not far behind). (source)
- "The school will be based on NASA's Silicon Valley campus and revolve around the concept that the exponential advances occurring in various fields should be melded to solve daunting problems like poverty, famine, disease, global warming and dwindling energy supplies." (source)
- The report details in specific and explicit terms the various methods and "enhanced techniques" the CIA used to interrogate prisoners in a secret "global internment system" set up at the direction of President George W. Bush. kidnapping, murder, "enhanced techniques" etc ... (source)
- In the ancient Welsh language it is known as 'Draig Goch' - 'red dragon', and in "Y Geiriadur Cymraeg Prifysgol Cymru", the "University of Wales Welsh Dictionary", (Cardiff, University of Wales Press, 1967, p. 1082) there are translations for the various uses of the Welsh word (source)
- Hence it is, that in recurrent sprains of the knee, including under this term the various forms of internal derangement of the joint, the wasting with loss of tone of the quadriceps is an important factor in aggravating the disability of the limb and in retarding and preventing recovery. (source)
- BLITZER: Speaking about the Northern Alliance -- the opposition forces, the defense secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, was clear that another U.S. objective -- in his words was to go after these so called offensive systems that the Taliban may have that could hamper the progress of what he described as various opposition forces. (source)
- Basically, I had a bunch of ingredients languishing in various areas of my kitchen - which seems to be a constant these days (especially since recently I've been so nauseous that what I do buy at the market lacks luster to my heart come dinner) - including a half-cup of ganache from my mom's birthday cake, the dregs of a jar of jam and three brown-verging-on-black bananas. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 37 example sentences provided below is 49.0, which suggests that "various" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 33 synonyms for various.
all manner of, assorted, changeable, changing, different, discrete, disparate, distinct, distinctive, diverse, diversified, heterogeneous, individual, legion, manifold, many, many-sided, multifarious, multitudinal, multitudinous, numerous, omnifarious, peculiar, populous, separate, several, sundry, unalike, unequal, unlike, variant, varied, variegated
We have 11 antonyms for various.
alike, combined, connected, individual, joined, like, resembling, same, similar, uniform, united
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
Pronunciation: (vârˈē-əs, vărˈ-)
View up to 25 definitions of various from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adjective) Of diverse kinds: for various reasons.
- (adjective) Unlike; different.
- (adjective) Being more than one; several.
- (adjective) Many-sided; versatile: a person of various skills.
- (adjective) Having a variegated nature or appearance.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (determiner) more than one indeterminate thing
- (adjective) having a broad range (of different elements).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adjective) Different; diverse; several; manifold.
- (adjective) Changeable; uncertain; inconstant; variable.
- (adjective) Variegated; diversified; not monotonous.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Differing from one another; different; diverse; manifold: as, men of various occupations.
- (None) Divers; several.
- (None) Changeable; uncertain; inconstant; variable; unfixed.
- (None) Exhibiting different characters; variform; diversiform; multiform.
- (None) Having a diversity of features; not uniform or monotonous; diversified.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) distinctly dissimilar or unlike
- (adjective) considered individually
- (adjective) of many different kinds purposefully arranged but lacking any uniformity
- (adjective) having great diversity or variety