Whenever is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand whenever (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use whenever in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of whenever, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of whenever, followed by 38 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adverb) - At whatever time.
EXAMPLES - Whenever in a Sentence
- You can use my name whenever and wherever you wish, and (source)
- Shoot, Ol 'Johnny Boy can use my name whenever he wants. (source)
- For better battery life, stay plugged in whenever possible. (source)
- I will call your name whenever I wield it on the battlefield. ' (source)
- Conference, might well have put his name whenever that seal appeared. (source)
- They are the patriots who answer the call whenever our nation needs them. (source)
- So most importantly, I spread the word whenever and wherever I possibly can. (source)
- And everyone in school hears him say her name whenever he falls asleep in class. (source)
- 'Just accept it as Shemish,' but she resolved to avoid the word whenever possible. (source)
- Class, please remember to include a title whenever you prepare an oral or written report. (source)
- He remembered my name whenever I saw him, telling me that people used to call him "Eric," too. (source)
- I seem to remember my mother using this term whenever one of us had an unexplained ache or pain. (source)
- It is a singular habit of these benighted people, to keep their word whenever they make a promise! (source)
- I will now in my mind replace his name whenever I hear it with the more pleasant thought of Liebfraumilch. (source)
- He is in touch with it, in short, whenever he acknowledges that textual criticism is a legitimate activity. (source)
- I am trying to get in touch with him and he knows that I will take the call whenever we can put it together. (source)
- Otherwise, why would I be the first girlfriend he calls whenever he's in Boston and has an open hour to spare? (source)
- After my aura riff last time around, I now use the term whenever I need a space-holder for something unexplained. (source)
- Frist is the Majority Leader of the US Senate and likes to hide behind his MD title whenever it's helpful to do so. (source)
- AT&T Retail employees are encouraged to use the name whenever possible, although never mandated to use it a certain number of times. (source)
- It seems French director Josiane Balasko's films include the word "French" in the title whenever they are translated for the American market. (source)
- He would take my late-night phone calls whenever I felt myself sinking in my troubled personal life as a divorced father of two small children. (source)
- In the U.S., there is a clear chain of title whenever land is transferred, but land ownership in Russia and other emerging markets can be murkier. (source)
- Because they'd get threatening phone calls from Mike Griffin whenever they spoke too loudly about the possibility of manned capability on the EELVs. (source)
- So when the wine industry makes a leap, it generates a wave impossible to ignore, exciting to watch, and exhilirating to participate in whenever you can. (source)
- I'm not lured by public revelations, I tell myself, but end up googling his name whenever I'm online, it's like prodding a chipped tooth with your tongue. (source)
- Maytera Mint made another note: "Bison" was clearly the black-bearded man; she resolved to use his name whenever she could until it was fixed in her memory. (source)
- I think accident, tragedy -- I think that ` s how Eric uses the terms whenever I ` ve been with him, interchangeably, a terrible accident, a terrible tragedy. (source)
- Nelly took every chance to remind his fans of his new album, "Brass Knuckles", which hits stores Tuesday, by having them shout the title whenever he said "September 16." (source)
- This Indian was always called "the Prince" in the hotel, though he was not a prince at all, and never pretended to be one, but disclaimed the title whenever he had a chance. (source)
- Dino Rossi had rapidly taken on the state's Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck 1984 role is "Person liberals scream at as their designated scapegoat villain whenever he comes on the television". (source)
- But more MBNA practices keep emerging, practices that seem to converge on the same bottom line: the customer signed a contract that binds the customer, but MBNA can change the terms whenever it wants. (source)
- Black's win was fantastic and sets him up as a strong contender to McGuinness's title, but he should have just flat-out beat McGuinness for the title whenever he faced Nigel again in a straight up singles match. (source)
- It's an organization made up of soldiers 'families and the family writing (ph) this group answers the call whenever a soldier is harmed or killed on the battlefield, and sometimes they answer that call when a soldier is harmed here at home. (source)
- It's an organization made up of soldiers 'families and it answers the call whenever a soldier is killed or injured on the battlefield, and in some cases, as we found out here at Fort Hood, that group also answers the call when a soldier is harmed on American soil. (source)
- Among the "Peace Network" 's members is a person of Jewish birth who for many years has been a member of another religion, yet rediscovers the Jewish label whenever a "useful idiot" of the Jewish variety is required to be trotted out to demonise Israel in its struggle to survive. straightchris (source)
- We took the business out of the hands of Lord Beauchamp, because it ought to be conducted by Government; and that will be the best reason for resigning it into other hands whenever we shall cease to stand in that character; which _whenever_ must, I think, arrive in the course of a very few days. (source)
- As his expression whenever I had caught sight of him during the afternoon had been a mixture of envy and pride, I knew without him telling me that he had been both titillated to be recognisable as a jockey, because of his size, and enraged that a swarm of others should have started the season without him. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 38 example sentences provided below is 58.0, which suggests that "whenever" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 3 synonyms for whenever.
at any time, on any occasion, when
We have 0 antonyms for whenever.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
Pronunciation: (hwĕn-ĕvˈər, wĕn-)
View up to 25 definitions of whenever from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adverb) At whatever time.
- (adverb) When. See Usage Note at whatever.
- (conjunction) At whatever time that: We can leave whenever you're ready.
- (conjunction) Every time that: The child smiles whenever the puppy appears.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adverb) At whatever time.
- (adverb) When.
- (adverb) Every time.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adverb) At whatever time.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) At whatever time; at what time soever.