Xanthic is a pretty tough word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand xanthic (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use xanthic in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of xanthic, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of xanthic, followed by 3 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - Of a yellowish colour.
EXAMPLES - Xanthic in a Sentence
- As in scarily blonde, yellow, xanthic hair, Rapunzel-gold and terrifying. (source)
- 'fixing' -- i.e. decomposing the xanthic residue -- consists in a short exposure to the boiling saline solution. (source)
- On this day, it was ornamental designs engraved on tombstones, xanthic blooms of Magnolia trees, the flight of birds observed from the car, and now nests under a bridge. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 3 example sentences provided below is 50.0, which suggests that "xanthic" is a fairly difficult word that is likely understood by a majority of individuals with an undergraduate degree, and may be found in ocassionaly in news articles or other forms of literature.
We have 6 synonyms for xanthic.
cant hook, cynic, sonic, synthetic, xanthippe, xanthous
We have 0 antonyms for xanthic.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of xanthic from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Of a yellowish colour.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adjective) Tending toward a yellow color, or to one of those colors, green being excepted, in which yellow is a constituent, as scarlet, orange, etc.
- (adjective) Possessing, imparting, or producing a yellow color.
- (adjective) Of or pertaining to xanthic acid, or its compounds; xanthogenic.
- (adjective) Of or pertaining to xanthin.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Tending toward a yellow color; of or relating to xanthin; yellow, referring to the color of the urine.