Xanthous is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand xanthous (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use xanthous in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of xanthous, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of xanthous, followed by 9 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - of the color intermediate between green and orange in the color spectrum; of something resembling the color of an egg yolk
EXAMPLES - Xanthous in a Sentence
- _xanthous_ complexion prevails -- the inhabitants of Australia and the (source)
- The moonlight here was tinged with the xanthous color of flesh gone to mold. (source)
- The xanthous complexion is rare, though not unknown in cities, but the leucous does not exist. (source)
- What imaginable intelligence could compensate her for the flat blueness of her eyes, the xanthous pallor of her hair, the doll-like pink of her cheeks? (source)
- To the different characters of human complexion, Dr Prichard gives three distinctive terms -- the _melanous_ or brunette; the _xanthous_ or blonde; and the _leucous_ or albino; the _melanous_ predominating in the southern countries, the _xanthous_ in the northern. (source)
- Finland and a great part of Russia, the xanthous variety, strongly marked, is prevalent The Danes have always been known as a people of florid complexion, blue eyes, and yellow hair The Hollanders were termed by Silius Italicus, "Auricomi Batavi," the golden haired (source)
- _Il Trovatore_; and from such fluffy, xanthous whiskers as Lohengrins wear; and from sentimental old maids who sink into senility lamenting that Brahms never wrote an opera; and from programme music, with or without notes; and from Swiss bell-ringers, Vincent D'Indy, the Paris (source)
- The change from the _xanthous_ to the _melanous_ complexion, is a circumstance of constant occurrence; there are few children born, whose complexion does not darken as they grow up, in many cases undergoing a total change: the passage from dark to fair is rare, but it constantly occurs that _xanthous_, or even _leucous_ children, are born of (source)
- Berbers of the plains are of brown complexion with black hair, we have seen that the Shuluh mountaineers are fair, and that the inhabitants of the high tracts of Mons Aurasius are completely xanthous, having red or yellow hair and blue eyes, which fancifully, and without the shadow of any proof, they have been conjectured to have derived from the Vandal troops of Genseric. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 9 example sentences provided below is 45.0, which suggests that "xanthous" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 12 synonyms for xanthous.
amber, bisque, blond, buff, chrome, cream, gold, ivory, lemon, saffron, sand, tawny
We have 0 antonyms for xanthous.
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of xanthous from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from The American Heritage© Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- (adjective) Yellow.
- (adjective) Having light brown or yellowish skin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Yellow-brown; yolk-colored.
- (adjective) Pertaining to people with yellowish, red, auburn, or brown hair.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- (adjective) Yellow; specifically (Ethnol.), of or pertaining to those races of man which have yellowish, red, auburn, or brown hair.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- (None) Yellow: in anthropology and ethnography specifying the yellow or Mongolioid type of mankind.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) of the color intermediate between green and orange in the color spectrum; of something resembling the color of an egg yolk