Xenophobia is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand xenophobia (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use xenophobia in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of xenophobia, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of xenophobia, followed by 43 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(noun) - a fear of foreigners or strangers
EXAMPLES - Xenophobia in a Sentence
- But that is not the case with the term xenophobia, at least. (source)
- They say it's not a kind of xenophobia, but just normal crime. (source)
- Two in DC and don't remember seeing ANY racism or "xenophobia"! (source)
- Perhaps this "xenophobia" is really more of a lack of necessity. (source)
- Incidentally, "xenophobia" is a fear of foreigners, or of the outsider. (source)
- The frequent use of the word "xenophobia" is deliberate too, for obvious reasons. (source)
- Society could not call xenophobia a crisis only when it impinged on their well-being. (source)
- He founded the Party for Freedom and discovered a knack for tapping into Dutch xenophobia. (source)
- In this regard, "xenophobia" is a term which should be used only where it is really appropriate. (source)
- (Our "xenophobia" when it comes to Mexicans is a whole other story, and very complicated, story). (source)
- On a side note, if I have not had watched wrestling, I would never know the meaning of the word "xenophobia". (source)
- Some traits are obviously going to be linked to politics, such as xenophobia being connected with the far right. (source)
- And what the open borders crowd vilifies as 'xenophobia' is just our psychological immune response to potential threats. (source)
- The rules will apply to crimes ranging from murder and rape to others such as 'xenophobia' which is unrecognised in British law. (source)
- That is a fact, not the expression of unreasonable fear or bias against any race or culture, so the word "xenophobia" does not apply. (source)
- "xenophobia" but for well founded grounds that they simply enmesh NZ more and more tightly in a cobweb of transnational corporate control. (source)
- Apart from racial intolerance, the gathering would also focus on topics such as xenophobia, gender discrimination, and economic imbalances. (source)
- As a country must deal urgently with xenophobia which is beginning to isolate us from the continent and reaching unacceptable levels of intolerance. (source)
- Misago said Zimbabwean victims of the violence reported that the xenophobia was the culmination of long-standing tensions between Zimbabwean and South (source)
- Mr. Koch's straight talk prompted his political opponents to accuse him of "xenophobia" -- a charge that stings in a country still haunted by its Nazi past. (source)
- There shall be mobilisation against all forms of discrimination and intolerances such as xenophobia, religious intolerance, racism, ethnicity, homophobia, etc. (source)
- Any offence carrying a potential prison sentence of more than three years in 32 wide categories - including "swindling," "racism" and "xenophobia" - is extraditable. (source)
- On the other hand, the word "xenophobia" should not be used when immigrants are asked to observe the customs and laws of the country in which they want to live and work. (source)
- Mixed into that we have a number of challenges such as the so-called xenophobia phenomenon and a number of socio-economic challenge facing us a nation and as a government. (source)
- * And some 40 religious leaders and scholars have issued a statement condemning Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich for "xenophobia" and "bigotry" in opposing the Islamic center. (source)
- Recent "xenophobia" against Mozambicans and Zimbabweans in South Africa was also driven by "frustration and insecurity" and fears about jobs that were unjustified, he added. (source)
- "There is racism among black people themselves - it is called xenophobia, which is hatred and discrimination so it can be dealt with as another form of racism," the IOM said. (source)
- The Northern League hailed the vote "as a victory for our militants", with the party's senate whip, Federico Briolo, dismissing shouts of "xenophobia" from the opposition benches. (source)
- When I heard Mandelson accusing John Humphrys (audio, BBC player) - of all people - of stoking 'xenophobia', my first thought was 'he's running out of debating options - he's desperate'. (source)
- Stressing the importance of the provincial intelligence co-ordination committees, known as Picocs, he said problems such as xenophobia and swine flu might affect some provinces but not others. (source)
- '' You are with the foreigners, you defend foreigners and you're against Italians, '' said League Senate whip Federico Bricolo, answering shouts of '' xenophobia '' from the opposition benches. (source)
- During our short rest we must appreciate the scenery and take note of the contemporary forms of slavery like trafficking in women and children xenophobia which is on the increase in Africa, Asia, (source)
- FIFA has never launched an anti-xenophobia campaign, probably because there is a thin blurry line between "xenophobia" and the "national pride" that is the very life-blood of international competition. (source)
- Misago said Zimbabwean victims of the violence reported that the xenophobia was the culmination of long-standing tensions between Zimbabwean and South African labour brokers, known locally as contractors, or "spanners". (source)
- "We are concerned at the trend of racism and xenophobia, which is resulting in a continuing rise in racial attacks," a delegate from South Africa, which often backs Russia, said during a meeting of the UN Human Rights Council. (source)
- As we join hands to celebrate our day as Africans, we need to renew our resolve to fight against negative trends such as xenophobia, which sees African turning on another African just because they come from a different country. (source)
- "We are concerned at the trend of racism and xenophobia which is resulting in a continuing rise in racial attacks," a delegate from South Africa, which often backs Russia, said during a meeting of the UN Human Rights Council (HRC). (source)
- "We are concerned at the trend of racism and xenophobia which is resulting in a continuing rise in racial attacks," a delegate from South Africa, which often backs Russia, said during a meeting of the United Nations Human Rights Council. (source)
- Sadly, this "xenophobia" is once again influencing the European legislators to enact less immigrant friendly laws: Danmark, Holland, so may be we are heading straight up into a new dark age in Europe, as we are already way on our way there in the USA. (source)
- "It's very important that this is the first time we've had a campaign about absolutely every kind of xenophobia, all together, because, in our view, you can't protest about the infringement of rights of one group, and then agree to it regarding another," he said. (source)
- He said the organisation had undertaken policy-relevant research on issues of national importance such as xenophobia, migration, the developmental state, the national health system, poverty reduction strategies, quality of education, service delivery acceleration, crime reduction, youth development and innovative employment strategies. (source)
- During the deliberate, targeted campaign of character assassination mounted against Hillary Clinton by the Obama people earlier this year ... one specific smear stands out in the minds of Indian Americans, because it fed on the kind of xenophobia that is increasingly directed towards us in this time of immigration and outsourcing debates. (source)
- The biggest may be undoing the damage done by his widely publicized remarks suggesting that people in economically struggling towns were "bitter" about politics after years of unfilled promises from politicians about jobs and economic development, and thus "cling" to religion, guns and xenophobia -- in other words, socially conservative causes. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 43 example sentences provided below is 43.0, which suggests that "xenophobia" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 42 synonyms for xenophobia.
ageism, animosity, antipathy, apartheid, aversion, bad opinion, bias, bigotry, chauvinism, contemptuousness, detriment, discrimination, disgust, dislike, displeasure, disrelish, enmity, foregone conclusion, illiberality, injustice, jaundiced eye, mindset, misjudgment, narrow-mindedness, one-sidedness, partiality, pique, preconceived notion, preconception, prejudgment, prepossession, racism, repugnance, revulsion, sexism, slant, spleen, tilt, twist, umbrage, unfairness, warp
We have 18 antonyms for xenophobia.
admiration, approval, esteem, fairness, fondness, good will, happiness, impartiality, justice, like, liking, love, loving, pleasure, regard, respect, sympathy, tolerance
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of xenophobia from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (noun) A fear of strangers or foreigners.
- (noun) A strong antipathy or aversion to strangers or foreigners.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (noun) a fear of foreigners or strangers