Xenophobic is a pretty challenging word, but we're here to help you better understand it...with EXAMPLES!
When learning new words, it's important to see how they're used, or to see them in the different contexts in which they're often used, and that's just what we'll do to help you better understand xenophobic (and many other English words!). By seeing different ways you can use xenophobic in a sentence, as well as synonyms and antonyms of xenophobic, you will have a much better grasp on how it should be used, and you'll feel more confortable with using it much sooner.
Below you will find the definition of xenophobic, followed by 42 sample sentences (from real sources), gradually increasing in length.
(adjective) - suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of the strange or foreign
EXAMPLES - Xenophobic in a Sentence
- I can't respond when "xenophobic" is effectively a meaningless term. (source)
- Nick Clegg says that some Conservative Eurosceptics are 'xenophobic'. (source)
- As for the "xenophobic" slam, it's so off base it's now circling the moon. (source)
- Labour MP Denis MacShane blames 'xenophobic' Tories for rise of far-right BNP (source)
- It has often been described as xenophobic due to its blunt political messages. (source)
- Words not in whoever coded the filter's dictionary (such as xenophobic), censored. (source)
- The far-right ignorantsia is historically prone to this kind of xenophobic feeding frenzy. (source)
- One of his latest scandals erupted over his speech that his critics called xenophobic and racist. (source)
- Police had earlier said the incident appeared to be a "xenophobic" attack, SAPA news agency reported. (source)
- It is "xenophobic" for me to consider a culture inferior for wanting me put to death just for who I am. (source)
- Regardless, I question that "xenophobic" is the right word, anyway, even within the point you're making. (source)
- Mercury newspaper that a group of Mozambican nationals were assaulted at the weekend in what they described as a xenophobic attack. (source)
- Speaking to Sapa, Cele accused the Inkatha Freedom Party of being behind the so-called xenophobic attacks involving residents from the (source)
- The sources cited by Lyall and Werdigier are reliably conservative and at least mildly xenophobic, meaning anti-EU as well as as anti-US. (source)
- Guma promised more funding for NGOs promoting refugee rights, saying there was a need to educate "xenophobic" South Africans on the issue. (source)
- "We condemn in the strongest possible terms the xenophobic acts that have led to injury, death and destruction," Pahad told an International (source)
- Of course, it will take time for us to know the exact figure of people who were displaced by the so-called xenophobic attacks in our country. (source)
- As for the misrepresentation of foreigners in Apple Daily, what're you gonna do--that's the kind of xenophobic hackwork that sells their papers. (source)
- As a matter of fact, I'm one of the few people -- you know, I'm characterized as xenophobic, as you know, Congressman, racist, all sort of things. (source)
- It's no wonder its inhabitants are multi-lingual and more open to outsiders than more reserved or "xenophobic" Greeks from other parts of the country. (source)
- With it come new challenges that confront us such as xenophobic tendencies and lack of appreciation of the new developments and its positive spin-offs. (source)
- Surely OPTUS can come up with a more rational defense in its arguments against the TELSTRA misgivings other than to accuse TELSTRA of bein "xenophobic"?! (source)
- Bhatt, who is a nutritionist and a fitness professional, said the Headley incident has made him "xenophobic" and he has lost faith in all human relationships. (source)
- It is both unfair and unreasonable to label Singaporeans as "xenophobic" just because they do not see eye to eye with the PAP's "foreign talent" sports policy. (source)
- At least Mumbai's landlords are willing to rent a house to him; according to a certain xenophobic politico, true nationalists wouldn't have Mrs Gandhi as a tenant. (source)
- For example, she starts off by saying that "the governor's opponents have thrown ugly words his way, among them 'race-baiting', 'xenophobic', and 'fear-mongering'." (source)
- He disagreed with Gigaba over more open borders, saying citizens would control borders by other means - such as xenophobic attacks - if the government did not do so. (source)
- Romania's President Traian Basescu has also protested the French policy, and said he would bring his argument against the "xenophobic" campaign to the European Commission. (source)
- Former Foreign Office minister Denis MacShane said 'xenophobic' attacks on the EU by the Tories would be to blame if the BNP made ground in next month's European elections. (source)
- PAP supporters and apologists come out in force in the internet chatrooms, decrying the critics as "xenophobic" and arguing that other nations have imported foreign talents as well to represent them. (source)
- This opinion was shared by Minister in the Presidency, Essop Pahad, who called the xenophobic violence which started on May 12 "dastardly" and "systematic attacks" which had no place in a democratic South (source)
- Those who complain the loudest about Mr. Koch's "xenophobic" campaign are the same who, in the name of social justice, advocate policies that would make it even harder for unskilled immigrants to find jobs. (source)
- The Socialists have attacked Mr. Rajoy's proposals as "xenophobic," and are basing most of their own election proposals on immigration around job-placement aid and tighter controls against illegal immigration. (source)
- Rev. Samuel Rodriguez, president of the National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference, which is part of this network, characterized any solution other than legalization of illegal immigrants as "xenophobic" and "nativist." (source)
- Although he later denied that this was a "xenophobic" move, Mr. Masukuwere told the BBC that he refused to allow white business leaders "to continue plundering this country's wealth and resources at the expense of the majority." (source)
- My husband and children have not only been denied citizenship, they have also been subjected to a series of what I would call xenophobic legislation and directives that certainly ensure they could never claim that they belong here. (source)
- During my visit to Bakerton in Springs, at the height of the so-called xenophobic attacks in April, I came face to face with a frustrated and angry people who felt they had not been allowed space to communicate their concerns and grievances. (source)
- In Germany, such open mass support has been more limited, generally not exceeding 10 percent, but outbursts of antiforeign violence, especially after reunification, have become more frequent and the expression of xenophobic sentiments more widespread. (source)
- Even as Mexico presses the United States to grant unrestricted citizenship to millions of undocumented Mexican migrants, its officials at times calling U.S. policies "xenophobic," Mexico places daunting limitations on anyone born outside its territory. (source)
- While those arrested after the latest outbreak of what has been described as xenophobic violence -- in Kya Sands -- are due to appear in court soon, experts fear a repeat of events that took place in 2008, when many victims were persuaded to drop charges for fear of persecution. (source)
- In it Ronald Schiller tells the people - ostensibly potential donors from the "Muslim Education Action Centre Trust" - that the Republicans have been "hijacked" by the Tea Party movement, whom he describes as "xenophobic, I mean basically they are; they believe in sort of white, middle America gun-toting. (source)
- It seems to me that those rights can be "diluted" I'm willing to admit that that is a rather poor, and kind of xenophobic sounding, choice of words, but it's all I had at the momentby our willingness to hand them out without any preconditions, or god forbid, "prices" like a high-school level test on the basics of our Constitution and criminal background check. (source)
The average Flesch reading-ease score of the 42 example sentences provided below is 43.0, which suggests that "xenophobic" is a difficult word that tends to be used by individuals of higher education, and is likely found in more advanced literature or in academia.
We have 42 synonyms for xenophobic.
antipathetic, averse, biased, bigoted, chauvinistic, communist, conservative, contemptuous, dictatorial, disdainful, dogmatic, fanatical, fractious, hateful, illiberal, indignant, individualistic, inflexible, irate, irritable, jaundiced, narrow, narrow-minded, obdurate, one-sided, outraged, racialist, racist, short-fuse, small-minded, snappy, stuffy, tilted, uncharitable, unfair, unforbearing, unindulgent, unsympathetic, unwilling, upset, waspish, worked-up
We have 7 antonyms for xenophobic.
fair, happy, impartial, nice, patient, tolerant, unprejudiced
PRONUNCIATION & SYLLABIFICATION
View up to 25 definitions of xenophobic from 5 different sources, as well as parts of speech.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- (adjective) Suffering from xenophobia, a fear or hatred of strangers or foreigners
- (noun) A xenophobe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- (adjective) suffering from xenophobia; having abnormal fear or hatred of the strange or foreign